Award ticket changed to Paid Ticket-- mileage redeposit fee?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Max M, Jan 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never done this before, and am curious if one changes a milesAAver award to a paid award, is the mileage redeposit fee still applicable?

[AA Plat here]

There's an attractive fare out there, but the mileage redeposit fee makes the purchase of ticket not as attractive.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're successful with this then props to you :)

Max M and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the mileage reinstatement fee is applicable. If you were EXP, then you would be exempt from this policy.

Max M likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, unless you are a status level w/the program so that your redeposit fee will be waived.
    agreed, I've tried numerous times w/different programs to have the miles redeposited & I purchase a ticket. Once I had an award just for me, when I told the agent that 3 friends (who didn't have awards booked) wanted to join me so there would be 4 paid tickets if they would redeposit my miles w/o a fee, they still said no.

My guess is the airlines don't want folks gaming the system by having an award ticket in place, but then if fare goes down simply canceling award & booking a revenue ticket.

All the above said, you still should try, as ya' never know.

Max M likes this.
  5. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to travel the same route again within a year of originally booking the award ticket, you can change the dates of the award travel without a fee. That way you can purchase the ticket for the upcoming trip and change the date of the award travel to a date in the future.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for your feedback. :)

I'll call and ask; worst thing they can say is no.

I certainly thought about doing this, but probably won't be flying there before that time.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Sweet Willie likes this.