Award Ticket Change Fee Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by y2karmagedon, Nov 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. y2karmagedon

y2karmagedon Active Member

Status Points:
    I was hopeful that the veterans would be able to help me out on this one.

I was originally scheduled to fly out of BWI to SYD via SFO on December 25th. Today, I noticed that some business class seats became available so I called in to change my routing.

I was able to change the ticket, but was charged a 75.00 change fee. The only difference between my old flight and the new one was the original left out of BWI and flew via SFO and the new one leaves out of IAD and flies via LAX.

I was under the impression that a co-terminal agreement existed between DCA/BWI/IAD and that change fees were typically not applied to these tickets. I reviewed the fee chart on the website, and found it somewhat confusing.

Does this sound like the change fee was charged correctly? Or was the agent incorrect?

Regardless, I paid the 75.00/ticket as the business seat is well worth the money ..

Any help or guidance you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You also changed your connection to be through LAX rather than SFO... do the two also have a "co-terminal agreement"?

3. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is most likely the reason for the charge.
    Changing the routing does not incur a fee so long as the carriers involved do not change.

genemk2 likes this.