Award Space Open on 77W to London

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by emtesenair, Mar 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked an Explorer award with a leg from JFK-LHR in hopes they would open up U space on the new 77W and they finally have! If you are planning a trip to London any time soon, I would book your ticket soon since this space will not last on the new plane! I checked a few weeks in July and August finding up to 4 business class award spaces per flight but no First. There are also plenty of economy awards available with as many as 7 spaces per flight.

2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish AA would have allocated one of these new birds to LAX sooner rather than later... I have a trip to LHR on 4-15 and it is on a 772... I am so tired of those worn out lie-flat and slide down to your feet wedgie seats! :(

3. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping they'll open some sAAver seats on DFW-LHR for the summer. Currently I"m booked on DFW-LGA/JFK-LHR and while JFK-LHR is on the lovely new 77W, I'd *much* rather have a direct flight so I can get some decent rest, plus no LGA-JFK transfer rigamarole....

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's summer so business travel loads across the Atlantic will normally be light and J award space is generally easy to get with enough advance notice, or at the last minute. F will be difficult, but the new J looks like it beats the pants off UA's F since UA doesn't give PJs. Seriously though, I would expect the summer runs to be a good time to sample the new J seats because the fall and winter will be tight with revenue flyers filling the seats. It will be interesting to see how the upgrade situation works. Remember, most fliers won't know what plane they or their corporate travel people are booking them on. And when I've checked revenue fares between JFK-LHR, often the new 77W had cheaper business fares than some of the older 777s. All depends upon inventory and day of flight, time of day, day of the week.

5. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to Expert Flyers' seat alerts, I got my Dad in 1A on 77W (LHR - DFW) when flying in Sept.

malikguy likes this.
  6. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, were you able to do this on mile sAAver or full fare award?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Has to be a MileSAAver, AAnytime awards are available at any time. That's why they're "AAnytime" awards. ;)

8. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. Where's my brain today? I am curious though... did you have to setup individual alerts through out Sept on the 77W to find availability?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I didn't, but I'm not flying the 77W on an award. I have a revenue ticket I used a SWU on the first week of June though. That'll be my first 77W ride. :)

malikguy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  10. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice. I went on the 77W on two of my DOH trips. It's really nice! I was actually asking funtrain since he said he found availability through EF in September.

11. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

I had already booked him on another itinerary which I wanted to improve. So I only set an alert for a specific day. Got lucky I guess.

malikguy likes this.