Award routing rules question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by boondr, Aug 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,

Long time lurker first time poster, I hope you'll have the patience to deal with a noob.

As far as aspirational awards go I know Australia is a tough one to find, but this one has to do with legality as opposed to availibility.

Would IAD-FRA(LH)-BKK(TG)-SYD(TG)-BKK-FRA-IAD be a legal award routing?

I am guessing between regions transitted and MPM the chances are slim but figured I would check my options.

2. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which rewards program are you dealing with? Some programs let you book certain percentages over the MPM by either 5,10 or 15% depending on the program, and I know some programs will let you route to Asia via Europe (Aeroplan) but not sure about Australia. It does seem like a bit of a stretch. Although I've found that with enough calling back, you'd be amazed what agents will allow. Especially if you have found availability on the flights through your own searches and can just read out the flight numbers to the agent, you can usually get away with murder. :p Try telling them you are combining a "business trip" in Europe with a "family trip" in Australia and that is why you desperately need this convoluted routing. I'm no expert, but so far it's worked like a charm. :cool:

3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mileage Plus

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MP program does not permit routing to Oz/NZ via Europe.

MPM does not apply to awards in the program AFAIK. But you still cannot route via Europe, Africa or the Indian sub-continent.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some agents also insist that going via South Korea or Thailand between North America and Australia/New Zealand/Oceania is not allowed however it is permitted.

6. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok so routing via Asia to Oz/NZ is permitted. Are these routing rules published somewhere so I can research this myself without taking all your time?

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They aren't published anywhere which is :mad::mad::mad: however yes you can fly from North America to OZ/NZ/Oceania via Asia and I'd highly recommend it if you wanted to stopover somewhere like Bangkok or Seoul as an example plus Air New Zealand has more availability for their BusinessPremier product out of Asia (KIX/NRT/PVG/HKG) versus their North American gateways (LAX/SFO/YVR/HNL).

8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the help, my thinking is that if I plan on flying in first class the longer routing becomes less of an issue.

Is routing to SE Asia permitted via Europe as well or is that not allowed too?

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is permitted to go via Europe between North America and Asia, I've done it plenty of times if I wanted to maximize my First Class experience on Lufthansa or Swiss Airlines.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Definitely permitted and same price TATL versus TPAC. Officially you cannot go TATL one way and TPAC the other on a single award but you can do it as a pair of one way awards or sometimes the website will price it up OK.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I can do LAX -> FRA -> BKK & then BKK/SIN (Sin I would have to get on my own) -> LAX ?

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you have to get SIN on your own?

13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    i thought *A only allows 1 stopover & 2 Open Jaw. If BKK/SIN are my primary destinations i would have to skip out on the LAX-FRA route and instead route LAX -> NRT/ICH -> BKK I thought

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, okay. I was just asking. :)

Then again, I'm the person who books a lot of one-way awards because they make sense for my route.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can certainly do LAX-FRA-BKK then a separate award BKK-SIN and yet another award SIN-NRT-LAX as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So 60k for LAX - FRA - BKK & then another 60k for BKK - NRT - LAX? (B class)

Techincally couldnt I do LAX FRA BKK (Stop) HKT & then HKT NRT LAX ?

I looked online trying to do LAX HKT and they all route through asia ... would I have to call in for the LAX FRA BKK HKT route?

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds right.

Not on a single award because it is TATL and TPAC. If you can price it online it might book; most agents won't do it though.
    Call in or try multi-city.

edekba and Flyer1976 like this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth

19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... Others have helped you out and you just thank the GME. :shrugs:

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

edekba likes this.
  20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry.

Thanks dig/r_1k.

It's just he answered my question definitively. Your answer though while is helpful, caused me to think of more follow up questions.

Apologies.