Award routing question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Surface Interval, May 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to piece together a *A award ticket from JNB-CLE this July 2nd. I've got plenty of miles. I need to be home by the 3rd as I need to be someplace on the 4th. One option is JNB-JFK-LGA-CLE in Y. Tough to sit in Y for 15.5 hrs, even if it only costs 40k. That said, my preference would be in J. I've have found JNB-GRU for 45k. Adding the likes of GRU-PTY is 40k if purchased separately. When I try to combine I get 85k. Not what I would expect considering a similar itinerary via Europe kicks back down to 60k. I have not been able to find any availability via Europe (did on the outbound for 60k).

Question is: are there limitations for Africa to USA via South America that prohibit this type of routing? Any tip how to get around this <assumed> limitation?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no limitations and you might have to call it in to price the award.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to get JNB-CONUS for 40k in Y via South America, Africa or Europe. The website might not price it correctly if you are forcing multi-city; calling in should fix that. When searching for a similar itinerary recently the ET connection via ADD on the 787 was a reasonable timing out of JNB and in to IAD, where you can connect on to CLE. Something else to consider.

Surface Interval likes this.
  4. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all!

Yep, a phone call fixed it. The agent said she thought that arriving in GRU at 11:30PM and leaving at 3:30AM was being mis-interpreted by the system as a layover. I was actually looking from CPT, but used JNB as a point of reference. I would up on CPT-JNB-GRU-PTY-EWR-CLE leaving 7/2 at 2:10PM, arriving 7/3 at 10PM. All J except the PTY-EWR; which is waitlisted.

Wandering Aramean - what is the best way to search for the JNB-ADD-IAD-CLE? The agent today was quite helpful - she suggested an alternate via CAI-JFK, but that included a JFK/LGA-CLE later in the day that would be a major PITA. I passed.

While I was trying to piece this together, I had gone down the OneWorld road and now have 2pax on a JNB-LHR F segment on hold with AA though Monday. These things appear to be quite scarce (1 or 2 per month). Anybody need one of those? I might be able to pass it on instead of simply cancelling.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I searched JNB-IAD on the United site and it came up. You can try JNB-ADD and ADD-IAD to "force" the system to try the individual segments but, generally speaking, the UA website is decent with single connection itineraries.

Assuming you have some flexibility look for PTY-IAD/ORD/IAH as well. All of those can feed in to CLE one way or another. Even MCO could work, I think. Heck, if the CLE-SJU flights are still running on the day you are traveling PTY-SJU-CLE should be an option.

6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some other connection points between PTY and CLE to check
    MIA, LAS, LAX, BOS, CUN, YYZ