Award Routing Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lusfort, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,

Hope that you guys won't mind helping me out.

Am trying to book a trip for my family and was wondering if this award routing is legal on united.

16th May SIN to IAD

19th May IAD to NYC

25th May NYC to SIN

So 1 stopover is permitted am i right?

Must both airports in NYC be the same also?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to do that without issue, provided there is availability for all the flights.

3. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, its gonna be tough finding the same itinerary for a family for 5. But i will try...

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be very technical, just in case you get an agent who is feeling like being a pain, if both airports in NYC are not the same or considered co-terminals (for example, if one is actually EWR), then it is an open-jaw rather than a stopover.

But the open jaw would be permitted as well, so you're fine either way.

I just find that sometimes it helps reduce agent objections if you speak the language the same way they do. :-:

dildooba44 and lusfort like this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Splitting the family is the best way to handle this, typically. It can become a feature of the trip, as it is for eightblack's family (though he's not a United flyer afaik).

6. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'm planning on getting redeeming some business class seat for my parents. Right now at its all at the standard level. Do you guys think UA will release the saver buckets as the date become closer?

7. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, I"m able to find availability for saver awards for all 4 passengers on the same flights. (Using UA's one way function). However, the flights so not appear once i try to use the round trip function, even presenting with only the standard award ticket on the last leg from NYC to SIN. Theoretically, I should be able to ask the agent to piece all the One way Tickets and book them together right?

Thanks for the help guys! Everyone has been great.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it is.

Yup.

IME, no, but sometimes agents may be confused on this. And that includes mixing JFK and EWR, as I am in my trip next week.

Absolutely.

To be very technical (;)) the stopover and open jaw are not mutually exclusive. You can have a stopover with or without an open jaw. Similarly your destination can exist with or without an open jaw. But you cannot have an open jaw without a destination or stopover. But putting the open jaw in does not allow one an extra stop on the journey; I know a number of people have been confused by that in the past.

lusfort likes this.