Award Routing Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Explore, Jul 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    During the recent carnival, I snagged a one-way MP award from SIN to EWR on SQ, so I can ride the world's longest commercial flight. I actually need to get back to SFO following that flight. So how close to SFO will UA extend that 60K C class award? I hear that MPM +15% is no longer being enforced.

Thanks....

2. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which carnival, the SQ one or the UA one?

adambadam likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that if you can find NYC-SFO within 24 hours of landing in EWR you can just add it on without issue.

Definitely the SQ one as the UA one required travel via HKG and the OP is flying SIN-EWR non-stop.

4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm wary of not having the award route down before departing SIN (or well before, if possible). Are you suggesting that calling UA now has the potential for them to screw up the SQ booking, which would cause it to be lost forever?

Also, is it really possible to extend an award after travel begins in that one-way direction?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anything can happen. It shouldn't, but it can. They may have to reissue the ticket to complete the transaction. Shouldn't change the inventory but talk to the agent and explain what you're trying to do. If they seem uncertain or confused just walk away.

I think that you'll run in to trouble in this case as you'll be finishing the trip with that segment. Otherwise it is possible; I did it in January, changing a connection while en route.