Award Routing Changes Question

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by PanAm, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, let's see if I have this straight. Right now I have a roundtrip partner award ticket DAY-ORD-NRT and return all on AA. Based on the EC T&Cs, I can change the time or date of the above trip (either at no cost online or with a phone charge), or change to, say, DAY-DFW-NRT.

I want to make sure I'm clear though on other changes. When I initially ready 14.2, I assumed it meant that I could also change to, say, CMH-ORD-NRT as I read "route" in a fairly general sense. Also, sections 14.1 & 14.2 have the entirety of T&Cs regarding award changes and nothing mentions origin/destination changes. However in the FT BAEC stickies it indicates no changes to O/D are permitted. Which, in that light, would have me read 14.2 as permitting a change to DAY-DFW-NRT but not my example of CMH-ORD(or DFW)-NRT.

So, two questions - and sorry if these are dumb questions...

1. Am I correct in interpreting a change from DAY-ORD-NRT to CMH-XXX-NRT (also changing the dates of travel) would have to be done as (a) first cancelling and redepositing the miles from my original booking and then (b) booking a whole new award?

2. Would the original booking be completely canceled prior to confirmed ticketing of the new award? I know when I made the award booking (which was over the phone due to BA.com not showing AA awards at the time), the agent noted that it wasn't completely confirmed and ticketed until they sent the request to AA and then AA ticketed (or something like that). She seemed to indicate this took several days.

In other words, does one run the risk of losing the original booking and in the meantime, AA not being able to confirm and ticket the new flights back to BA? Leaving me out of luck entirely? BA.com shows plenty of availability at the moment, but still I'm a little worried.

Thanks.