Award Release Schedule

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by skyvan, Jul 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any rhyme or reason to the award availability (besides demand) on AF/KL. I see that KL has no US availability until October, while I'm seeing a lot of AF availability for the next two weeks and then it drops off almost completely. Does AF or KL release significant inventory in the week or weeks before flights? I'm trying to figure out if I need to convince a DL agent to let me go LAX-CAN-LHR or if I can wait out some AF or KL availability.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't sound quite right for availability from the US as a whole. Are you only searching from LAX? What sort of timeframe and destination are you looking at? What city pairs are you searching, what class of service, and with what tool? There is definitely KL availability from the US in the wide timeframe you list, and also AF, AZ, and UX.

Getting to the US gateway to take the flight is another matter, if there isn't space from LAX or another convenient west coast gateway.

3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've not found anything consistent in Biz between August 21-26. I searched HOU, SFO, LAX, YVR (Canada, I know), IAD. That's the specific area I'm looking for.
    The LAX-AMS flight though, as well as AMS-SFO shows as no availability until mid/late October on Delta.dumb.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I happened to search I think ORD and JFK. Availability probably wasn't consistent, but not completely absent. LAX was pretty bare, I think SFO maybe less so. East coast is generally pretty easy, but getting there is of course less so. If Air Europa is acceptable there are 2 seats or more in biz each way just about every day in the month JFK-MAD, so there's always that fallback (if you can get to NY, maybe via SLC?). How many seats do you need? You may need to start considering gateways further east, if you can manage the connections and accept the shorter TATL flight. If you can leave a day later there's at least one seat on the MSP-LHR DL flight.

There's enough availability floating around that I feel like I could put together a workable itinerary, maybe with a different gateway each way, and consider gateways like YYC, IAH, ORD, MEX, YYZ, YUL, BOS. Even check DL operated flights. There's space BOS-LHR on Aug21, for example, as well as BOS-CDG, and AMS-BOS on DL on Aug 27.

Use the air france site to search. The calendar actually works. Find classic space. Availability is not good, but there is TATL space on and around your chosen dates, if you can connect to it. It's not consistent, but there's enough to cobble together.

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK would work but there is no low level coach/business LAX/BUR/SAN/ONT available -LGA, -EWR or -JFK which would qualify as a connection and not a stopover. On the way back I think I will be doing a few day stopover in NYC.
    I just need one seat, but I want to fly on a decent hard product (and i'm in the minority and am a fan of the Air France J seat, flew it last year BOM-CDG and found it comfortable. I'm going to check the Air France site again, was using it previously.

Do you know if they open up their schedule more in the days leading up to it? I'm still debating if I'm going to try to convince an agent to book me LAX-KUL-LHR or LAX-CAN-LHR

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you need one seat, maybe try the BOS or MSP nonstops to LHR that I mentioned above if you want a DL flatbed. There was availability on the way back. For transcon you could try connecting, as much of a pain as that can be. Since you're plat grab something now that works, you can always change it.

If you can convince them to let you go via Asia, great. That could be a challenge though.

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ultimately decided to just bite the bullet and connect in the US. Was hoping to connect in Europe and fly directly to LAX but SkyTeam has very few flights Europe-LAX compared to the OW or *A. Anyway thanks for the help mattseg.