Award Redemption on Singapore Air

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Aditya Vyas, Oct 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was looking for SIN-BOM-SIN tickets on Nov 20th and saw that UA doesn't show up Singapore Air or Air India itin and only shows THAI airways flight info which is 1 stop,. I called up Mileage Plus and found that all Singapore air tickets have to be manually priced and searched. Additionally Air India only releases 1 ticket per flight. What is value of Star alliance and partnership when certain flight partners don't provide access?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's better than no partner award redemptions ever.

icurhere2 and redtailshark like this.
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are the seats in thr premium cabins priced (miles) the same as the UA award chart shows? I have very flexible travel dates just want to know what mileage total to shoot for

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, SQ doesn't show online. But they are available. And I wouldn't trust an agent on something like "Partner XYZ only releases seats like PDQ." Especially when AI has only been a partner for a few weeks.

UA still shows far more partners online than most other programs.

As for award charts, you need to check the PDF, not the interactive version if partner premium cabins are involved. And SQ generally does not release premium seats to partners except on their old regional product which is mostly disappearing IIRC. BOM may still have it but I'm not sure. Use Aeroplan to search for SQ space or ANA if just looking for economy.

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they release it on their new regional product as well (plane types 72A, 72C and A333). What they don't release on (for UA and most *A partners) is the 77W/A380 F&C and 773 F products. I flew their new regional product this year on a *A redemption.

ANA works fine for finding anything that isn't 77W/A380 F&C and 773 F. I just searched for HKG-SIN, SIN-BNE and SIN-BOM space and saw C space on 10/19 for B772s and A333s. ;)

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ award availability for redeeming with UA miles is in the tank. There is now a big hole in SE Asia because of this. I tried to redeem to fly from SIN to MNL in December for my upcoming Year-end Asian Escapade(tm). Although SQ has 3 daily flights on this route, the knowledgeable UA agent who did my booking could not find any awards except on Xmas day! My only solution was to book a cheap revenue ticket on a regional carrier. Last year, I wanted to fly from SIN to DPS, a popular route serviced by SQ, but ran into the same no-availability problem. I had to book a cheap revenue ticket on...Qatar!

If your plans include redeeming UA miles on SQ, I would suggest you devise a back up plan because chances are that SQ won't come through for you. The most dependable *A carrier in the region for the last couple of years has been TG.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I just ran a search on AC and NH, SIN-MNL, there's C inventory on 12/26, 12/27. Starnet blocking 2.0 strikes? :eek:

(FWIW, AV miles would have handled a one-way C redemption SIN-MNL for pretty cheap prior to their devaluation+chart change, probably not as cheap as a revenue flight in Y, but not horrible, something like $400 USD. I'm glad I burned my UA miles, then...)

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There might be some bad blood between UA and SQ. When the UA agent could not find me any availability, I asked her if I should just wait to see if something would show up later. She was not optimistic but suggested that I check with SQ to get a feel for how things might be. I called SQ but essentially they blew me off; first I was told that they could not help me because I was not one of their FF program members, and then I was asked to wait, but no one ever came back after a long wait so I just hung up and booked a cheap revenue ticket on PR (~$300)...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SQ was correct in telling you that there was nothing they can do.

UA will not show the SQ seats online but should if you prompt them with specific options you've otherwise researched and confirmed as available for partners.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not want them to "do" anything for me, whatever that means. It simply was a request for information, which should be taught in CS training schools to provide as basic good manner that could benefit the company's image...unless one is a sociopath.
    As I have always done , I had already charted my entire 3-week itinerary when I contacted the UA 1K desk to help me with the booking. So, I had practically every thing: dates, times, flight numbers, including for all three daily SIN-MNL flights that did not show availability.

I think that maybe we should start a thread where *A, most mostly UA, members can report their successes in getting award seats on SQ...I suspect, in fact, bet that it won't be a busy thread.

estnet likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What information were you expecting them to provide to you about redeeming UA points? :confused:

Where had you searched to confirm that they didn't show availability? And, assuming it was a reliable source (i.e. not united.com but ANA or Aeroplan) then did you expect that it would suddenly have inventory show up?

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look, I am not sure what it is that you wish to know but I have no desire to engage in this Q&A. I had called SQ simply to say that I (UA) could not find any award availability and wanted to get some idea if they anticipated any to open up around the time that I was interested in traveling. Very benign stuff.
    As for checking availability, I first searched on UA.com for all the awards that I could find within my itinerary, and where there were holes (served by SQ) I went to the SQ website to find out what services (paid) they had for the routes and asked the UA agent to try to find award availability. Going to ANA or Aeroplan would not have increased my chances. If it did, then my theory about bad blood between SQ and UA has some validity...

I have done this Asian Escapade thing for last 5 years, so I know what I was able to get on SQ. It is simply no longer there; not even close.

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, but a search on the ANA site would have confirmed whether or not there was actual *A partner availability from SQ. (FWIW, I wasn't seeing a lot right around Xmas, which makes sense... that time of year, there's a lot of domestic workers/migrant workers going home from places like SIN to places like MNL, so I'd expect the planes to be full. Perhaps SQ is reserving some C inventory for op-ups...).

I booked CO *A C intra-Asia awards on SQ before they showed up in the CO booking engine (what is now UA's) and used NH- fed the phone agent the flight number and date that showed up in the ANA engine. It's always worked for me for booking a *A flight (US or UA, I guess next time it'll be AV). As far as I can tell, they are pretty much the gold standard for what is available as a *A partner award from any *A partner (UA has a lot of junk going on, as is detailed on FT pretty extensively).

(I wish we could still fly EK C BKK-HKG like we used to... :( Ah, well, time marches on.)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is also much better than 635k from PHL to FCO not all of which is in J...

15. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just for info i was able to get sin-bom and del-sin on sq using 35k mileage saver each way. It did take 25 mins total and UA operator had to put me on hold to talk with sq. This is ridiculous. On UA website i could only see THai airways which has 1 stop. Wonder why no Air India flight showed up or other *a? Has any one booked on AI using UA miles

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No other *A partner flies SIN-BOM/DEL-SIN in any reasonable fashion (that doesn't involve a backtrack, like ET/NH/CA). AI, TG and SQ would be it.

FWIW, I didn't see any AI availability searching on ANA...

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got that but if there is no "bad blood" between SQ and UA, then a UA agent should also be able to find the available awards, no?
    CO, US, EK...those were the days!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    eponymous_coward likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, SQ doesn't play well with others, including partners. For example, they've set up a separate and inferior lounge at SIN for *Golds and IFC on partner flights doesn't get you into TPR.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and they can if the awards are available. You indicated that you searched, found nothing and then called in and are disappointed that the agents had the same result. :confused:

As for why some awards show online while others do not, it should come as no surprise that money is part of the answer.

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused: Bizarre. Only in the figment of your imagination would everything that I have said up to now translate into disappointment over the fact that the agent could not find awards available on SQ, which I had pretty much expected as one who is attune with redeeming UA miles to travel in the region. Either that or a complete lack of comprehension...

Hint: I could not have searched for SQ awards on UA.com because they are not listed. So, when I had contacted the agent, all I had was the schedule for (paid) flights that SQ runs between SIN and MNL.

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your prior post indicates that you had "practically every thing: dates, times, flight numbers, including for all three daily SIN-MNL flights that did not show availability."

Had you searched for those SIN-MNL flights as award segments, found nothing and still hoped that the agent would find some space? Or am I missing something in what you've stated here?

If SQ isn't opening awards to any partners then it is hard for me to see it as bad blood just between UA and SQ.

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, perhaps a lack of comprehension. Here's what I had said so that you do not keep trying to put world in my mouth:
    So there is no need to search on AC or NH websites if there is no "bad blood" (just a conjecture, BTW), is there?

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The part I quoted above is directly from your post: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/award-redemption-on-singapore-air.101786/#post-2457028.

I'm not putting words in your mouth; I'm trying to understand where the confusion over what was or was not available came from.

It sounds like you didn't initially confirm that the seats had no inventory but simply called and asked. No problem with that but the first post you made (which I've linked to here) wasn't entirely clear on that and that's why I've asked for clarification.

Had you checked ANA or Aeroplan prior to calling it would not have made the seats available but you would have likely seen that the issue is SQ didn't make the award seats available to any partners. It is not just a UA-SQ thing.

24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever. I fail to see the merit of your point, which simply seems to be that one should skin a cat your way, even though the outcome in either case would be a dead cat.

G'day.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, but without searching NH or AC and getting an answer from them that differs from what a UA agent tells you, there's no evidence that SQ and UA are having a row.

My search just now showed no availability on SQ for SIN-MNL from 12/20 to 12/24 in Y or C, with Y availability on 12/25, and C availability on 12/26. It would seem seats were not available to ANY partners, so it's not just a UA/SQ spat. Sometimes an autopsy on a dead cat can prove the cause of death, anyway.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014