Award Redemption Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sharris503, Jun 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to plan a trip to CDG for June 2014. Awards are not available yet but I am estimating availability based on how things look now for May 2014. I will use AS miles to get there and I will likely position myself to LAX. Looks like my most likely options are:

1. LAX-CDG, Direct flight on AF business class on the A380 for 62.5 miles per ticket.
    2. LAX-MIA-CDG, This is on AA and the flight over the pond is on a 763. This would also be in business class but for 50k per ticket.
    3. LAX-LHR-CDG. Also on AA and on the 77W. Business class, 50k per ticket. This is my first choice but unfortunately it looks like AA is only releasing one award ticket per flight on the 77W's LAX-LHR route and I need two.

Assuming I won't be able to book #3, what's the collective opinion on 1 vs 2? Is the direct flight worth an extra 12.5 per ticket?

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AirFrance business on the 380s should theoretically be Cathay Style seats by then. I would do that. Plus you can transfer MR to airfrance if need be. Although taxes will be around $300/ticket.

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We flew AF on the 380 out of IAD two years ago on AS miles - it was great. I'd say it’s completely worth the extra points. The CDG lounges are great as is the IAD lounge - can't speak for the LAX AF lounge.

4. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been looking at the lax-lhr flight on the 77W, it seemd for some days in may especially mondays and tuesdays, there are three seats in j open for saver award.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should also be able to use your AS miles for DL flights, so be sure to look at those options too.

6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:

Good point, but Delta isn't an option for me because they charge you the full roundtrip price for one way flights.

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The point is that Alaska allows you to redeem awards for Delta flights AND also permits one-way redemptions. :-:

I've flown to Europe from the west coast many times. A 10-hour flight is long enough to sleep on. Even if you don't sleep super-well on a plane, I always wind up more rested when I take the long flight on the non-stop versus the two half-length flights with time I have to be awake in the middle. Ugh.

Jett Rink and LauraPDX like this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Alaska allows you to redeem on Delta but if you want a one-way on Delta it will be the full roundtrip price. One-ways on most other partners are half the cost of a roundtrip.

Wandering Aramean and boondr like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are ways to lower this, for example by making the dummy booking for the return in coach (low). Also, since you can do an open jaw and a stopover, some people are able to use the return segment for another trip.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I walked through this concept in detail using Delta miles (since Delta charges its own members full roundtrip price for a one-way award) back in December.
    http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthe...ng-the-cost-of-delta-skymiles-one-way-awards/

Of course Alaska members have access only to 'low' Delta award inventory, such as it is.

11. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alaska will also put you on KLM one way. Just booked San Francisco to Paris (stopover) via Copenhagen, then on to Casablanca for very late March 2014. Alaska told me that they can also now book one way on Air France if available..

desamo likes this.
  12. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to grab two tickets in j at saver level on the AA 77W LAX-LHR for june 2014 this monring

sharris503 and IDGflygirl like this.
  13. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks, I just saw some of that award space a couple of days ago. I'm looking at end of June so I will definitely be keeping a close eye on that when award space opens up.