Award question

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Lionell, Sep 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was checking out the M&M mileage calculator and found that biz flights from PER to RAR would only cost 27500 miles. Now if you check availability there are 2 options for this:

PER-AKL-RAR with NZ
    or
    PER-BKK-AKL-RAR of which the first 2 flight are with Thai and the last with NZ

On the first option there is no more availability in biz class, only economy which would cost 15000 miles according to the mileage calculator and award chart as it's flights within the same region.

As the second option has availability in biz but connects in BKK so I think it will increase the number of miles as it is considered to be backtracking? As this would fly from Australia to New Zealand (both in the same region according to the award chart).

But after checking the small print of the Thai Airways award rules, it reads the following: Backtracking is allowed when required by the Star Alliance network for connecting flights only.

So I'm curious about the number of miles that M&M would charge... Any thoughts? I will give M&M a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called M&M earlier, there is no award space available at all according to them. And indeed because I would be touching another region, number of miles increased.
    Found an alternative route with another alliance.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premium cabin to the Pacific Islands as an award on NZ is basically impossible. Usually not even worth the effort of dreaming about it.

Lionell and skyvan like this.
  4. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info @Wandering Aramean , I found that out myself as well. Most flights from AKL to the pacific islands are operated on single cabin airlines like Air Raro.