Award one way to satisfy paid R/T requirement?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by swag, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to fly a roundtrip. There's a fare sale going on for certain days, but it requires a roundtrip purchase. The day I want to fly out is a excluded from the sale, but saver level awards are available. So I'd like to use miles 1 way for the outbound, and pay for a 1 way return. Unfortunately, if I book as two separate one way PNR's, then the fare for the return more than doubles, since it doesn't see it as a roundtrip.

Any of you clever AA experts know a way around this?

All I can think of is to book a RT for the return, with that leg as the outbound, and a return back to the same destination on some future date. Unfortunately, while I know I'll be returning to that city later this year, I don't yet know the exact dates...

2. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and the problem with that is you will be charged a change fee unless the paid ticket is of a sufficiently high (flexible) fare to negate those, so in the end I think you have a double dilemma. I do not think you will be able to get a round trip fare discount using miles for the return (or outbound) leg, but if AA tells you differently, please do let us know. [​IMG]

3. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to buy a RT with the outbound (your actual return) at a discount fare, then the return at a refundable fare, like 'B'? Then get the refund for the return flight that you don't use. I'd love to know if that works...