Award on LH using UA miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by lichenlt, Aug 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book a first class ticket from HKG-SEA, can I do HKG-BKK-FRA-SEA?

If so, can I book in Y now for the FRA-SEA segment and later when O space open up and change to O without paying a change fee? Of course the entire itinerary has to be charged with first class miles now. Is that too big of a jump from Y to O?

Thanks.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can route via Transatlantic or Transpacific for Asia Awards so your HKG BKK FRA SEA is allowed per the rules.

As for changing your class of service there is currently a $75 fee to change cabins if you are a MileagePlus Member and slightly less if you have status with United.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx

Posted via Snail Mail aka an iPhone.

Jimgotkp and lichenlt like this.
  3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I thought changing the cabin was free. I actually changed a segment from Y to I free of charge, did I just get lucky on that?

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's free if you are changing it outside of 21 days but the language on the chart is somewhat not clear...

Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date(3)
    $75(GM) $50(Silver) $25(Gold) No fee(1K/Plat)

Jimgotkp and lichenlt like this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    just booked this itinerary, but strangely HKG-BKK that was supposed to be on 380 at 1:25pm was changed to an earlier flight at 12:45pm on 747. I confirmed the flight time with the agent before I booked it, very strange.

I held a separate HKG-BKK on 380 online. It was also automatically changed to the earlier flight when I clicked back in to view the itinerary.

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What dates did you try for? It's possible TG did not confirm the flight so UA put you on the earlier.

7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    could be, I was looking at Feb. next year.

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Give me an exact date and I'll take a look at the flight in question, you can call UA back and say that's not the flight you booked as well.

9. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks man, I just called them, the agent told me the system kept coming back unconfirmed. so there's no way to book it at this moment. But I noticed the flight number for the 12:45pm flight was the same as the 1:25pm flight. I then checked the flight schedule, there's no 1:25pm flight by TG, so I guess TG is sending unconfirmed inventory to partners, because aeroplan shows the 1:25pm available as well.

so maybe TG is going to put 380 on that flight since the flight number is the same? Maybe they will decide whether it's going to be 12:45pm or 1:25pm later? LOL

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is booked as an F award but seated in Y then I do not believe the change fee would apply. Of course, getting someone to do that these days is a bit harder than it used to be.

lichenlt likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wording is a bit vague as well, it clearly says any changes of award types or class of service requires a $75 fee... It doesn't make sense if I paid for a First Class Reward with one flight in a lower class of service and inventory opened later on the same flight for the class of service paid to be charged a fee. Then again this is United we're talking about.

lichenlt and adambadam like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you book it as an F award then you aren't changing the award type class of service. That's why I'm pretty sure it works without the fee.

lichenlt likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA.COM says...

Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date(3).

Which is why I'm not too sure about your assumption since you're right in that it is a first class reward redemption but he would be changing the cabin on one of the flights. However the OP could call UA and ask what would happen in this situation and possibly get a different answer every time. but a good supervisor can note the record to not charge a fee based on their interpretation.

lichenlt likes this.
  14. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think like the confusion in this thread there will be confusion at UA. Half the agents wouldn't charge the change fee while the other half would.

I think because the flight is booked as a First saver award (and the fare codes on the ticket, not the individual flights, will show that) then the right answer is "no" to charging the fee. But this might require a couple of phone calls to UA to find an agent willing to agree.

-RM

lichenlt and Flyer1976 like this.