Award Hotels - Help for Coachella!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by crimson, Mar 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. crimson

crimson Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello again,

I'm hoping if anyone can give me advice to booking a hotel for Coachella Weekend 2 (April 19-21) with points at the best value.

I currently have:
    103k Membership Reward points
    70k Ultimate Rewards points

I'm okay with motels if it's a good value with points. FYI the cash price for a motel that weekend is going $200+/night.

Thanks in advance!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage its 35k hilton points per night or 279

Kalboz likes this.
  3. crimson

crimson Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'm currently looking into Hilton Points.

I'm not sure if I should wait to book this award or book immediately. I want to get the most value for the points, but if I transfer
    MR to Hawaiian Airlines to HHonors - The HA website says it will take 10-15 business days
    Points 1:1:2

Or by transferring directly MR to HHonors.
    Points 1:1.5

Does anyone have experience with the 10-15 Hawaiian Airlines transfer estimate?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Homewood Suites by Hilton in Palm Desert is actually a nice property and closer to Cochella. Its 30K Hilton Points a night. Just the 19th is not available now.. I have a weekend place close by and know it well..

Kalboz likes this.
  5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    you can not transfer from mr to HA to HH ,HA will not allow miles transfered in to be transfered out. i would look at a straight mr to hh transfer 50k mr will get you 75 hh and get 2 nights right away waiting will not open up more inventory. 35k points for a $279 room is a great value for your hh points

Kalboz and crimson like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great value for hh points, but mediocre one for MR which is what you are really spending. Worth considering but not awesome value.

7. crimson

crimson Active Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately HH inflation just kicked in today and hit those properties. I think I'll just have to go with a Choice Hotels (Motel) 30 miles away.

Thanks for the help anyway

Kalboz likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call. Even pre-inflation not a great deal. Other than UR to Hyatt I find transfers to hotels a poor value.

9. xhunter33x

xhunter33x Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just for future reference. You can usually get a better price at one of the boutique hotels in Palm Springs, proper during Coachella Fest. It seems far, but it's only 13 miles from Palm Springs to Indio. I'd also suggest Craigslist during Coachella Fest and Stage Coach. A lot of people in La Quinta, Bermuda Dunes, Palm Desert, and even Palm Springs will rent out a room or guest house for a much better deal. If you are staying in Indio, try to stay as far west as possible and avoid anything from and including the city of Coachella east.