Award for parents was changed, .bomb has award flights the call center doesn't see

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Grandmaster B, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Grandmaster B

Grandmaster B Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked an award for my parents this coming May from LAX to FRA, with a change of planes in IAD, all on United metal. They originally had just under 90 minutes to connect, but they received a call today that they were rebooked on a flight that now leaves them with 50 minutes to connect. What makes no sense at all is that the original flight 31 is still there, it just leaves around 30 minutes earlier than originally scheduled (granted, there may have been an equipment change, but I'm not sure). .bomb shows that there are still award seats on flight 31, but the call center says they can't see it and of course I can't reroute through another city unless I pay $150.

Since they are in economy and my mom doesn't walk that well, I'm afraid that 50 minutes won't give them enough time to connect. Do I have any options at this point, aside from hoping that the call center eventually sees seats on flight 31?

As a side note, why were they automatically placed in Economy Plus seats on the new flight and a request to pay $59 per passenger appears when I view the new seats?

2. Actonma
    Original Member

Actonma Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a first step I suggest you call back and speak to a different agent who might provide more options.

rdrushal and sobore like this.
  3. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    What call center did you get? I would call back and if the new agent won't make the change for you, I would ask for a "Service Director". I wouldn't chance a shorter connection, especially @IAD. Mention your concern with the lack of connection time.

I booked my wife & I Biz tickets on LH in Dec 2008 LAX-DFW-FRA & FRA-DFW-LAX for Sept 2009 travel. The schedule changed and on my return, our 3 hr layover in DFW became 5.5 hrs. I said I didn't want to spend that much time @DFW on the return & asked for the nonstop FRA-LAX. The agent put me on to the Service Director & said she would make a 1 time exception. ;). Even with *NET blocking on partners, I was able to change the return but to a different day. Worked for us.

4. Grandmaster B

Grandmaster B Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently on hold trying to speak to a service director. I got the Indian call center. When I pushed on the schedule change, he wanted to argue that they were never booked on flight 31, despite the fact that I was staring at the confirmation from December.

I've spoken the the call centers in the Philippines and India, and of course neither have been willing to move on the issue. I don't have status, and neither do my parents.

Actonma--I've gone through numerous agents and all have said NO unless you want to pay.

Chemist562--Thanks for the advise on asking for a service director. I never to spoke to that person, but after 45 minutes, the agent said the service director allowed the change request.

chrislacey and jupper like this.
  5. Actonma
    Original Member

Actonma Silver Member

Status Points:
    It shouldn't be this hard but glad your perservance paid off...

6. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="Grandmaster B, post: 189738 I've spoken the the call centers in the Philippines and India, and of course neither have been willing to move on the issue. I don't have status, and neither do my parents.

Sometimes if you call late in the day (US time) you luck out and get a HI agent. They can sometimes do things that no one else can do, and they are quick to understand the problem.

7. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    "but after 45 minutes, the agent said the service director allowed the change request.[/quote]

Oops, disregard previous post. I didn't see this.