Award flight name change

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by moiraoc, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi all I am having the worst week and this is step one in trying to get order to my chaos

my boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me and I am devastated
    I had taken advantage of aeroplans reduced award flights and gotten us first class award tickets to the Olympics in August (2 rt first class from dc to dub then lhr and back for 180k)

My best girlfriend said she would gladly go in his place but i am afraid that calling to switch tickets into her name is going to cost me a ton of points ....for some reason it's easier to be pissed about something silly like losing points than deal with my own heartache

Anyways any suggestions about how to make this change? My experience with aeroplan was great and they seemed to have great customer service ....anyone know if they might show a little compassion? Any ideas what my first approach should be?

I've not really posted before but I really appreciate your help and advice
    YULtide and chrislacey like this.
  2. I think a forthright call and a sob story will go down well with AE. I hope the points used were all from your own account. They may charge you a phone fee but I think that might be the only charge.
    Call during the week in regular business hours when there is more senior mangement on duty and if an agent gives you grief ask to speak to a senior one.

Sorry about the heartache but in about 3 months time you will realize the breakup was the best thing that could ever happen to you. Trust me on that. The next Mr. Right is lurking somewhere out there.
    The Lev and 2MM_Guy like this.
  3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

I agree with guinnessxyz, if you arent getting anywhere with the pawn, head up the food chain to the management. Im pretty sure you will only be charged a phone fee of less than 50USD.

Breakups are hard, but sometimes for the best. If there is one thing you can take from this, you're going to the Olympics. ENJOY the games!!!
    2MM_Guy likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Since you are not traveling for about another 6 months and award tickets might still be available, one option that gives more control of situation is to cancel and rebook. The catch is that the reduced awards might not still be available, so better to inquire before cancelling.
  5. Thanks for the great advice!!! They are most definitely my miles, which is why I would be so bummed if I have to waste more of them! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

YULtide likes this.