award flight canx

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by profpeabody, Jan 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have an award flight booked for May from Washington to Rome using Aeroplan points on Brussels Air. On a fluke, I decided to check on the flight seating again yesterday and discovered the flight has been cancelled by the airline. Called Aeroplan and after telling me the time had changed and I would now have an 8 hour layover in Brussels, they ended up checking further and confirming what I had found - the flight was completely cancelled. The agent then told me he would submit a ticket and someone would get back to me to find 2 business class seats to replace this flight. In looking at award space online, no biz class seats show up for the date we need to travel. My question is - what is their obligation to me at this point? Should I grab something else from another program or should I rely on Aeroplan to find a replacement flight? As an aside, I moved AmEx points to Aeroplan to book the original tickets. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Happy new year to all.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The obligation of the airline is generally to find suitable replacement flights or to refund the payment. In your case that could theoretically mean putting the Aeroplan points back in your account and calling it a day. The company would be in the clear at that point even though it is certainly not what you want. IME the airline can often make award space available on its own flights to accommodate similar circumstances.

Which of the flights is canceled? If it is BRU-FCO might you find another connecting option within Europe to fill the gap?

3. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Thanks. I think you are right that they may just rebank the miles but I am hopeful they will try to find an alternative. The IAD to BRU portion was cancelled which is the bulk of the flight. I am more concerned about getting biz class for the transatlantic portion than I am about which city we connect in. Since Brussels is a partner airline, I suspect I may end up being on my own to find another flight. Thanks again for the feedback!

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ask them to open up TATL space on their own metal? Not sure if this would result in increased surcharges, and no guatantees they do it. Otherwise have you looked for space from and to other gateways?

5. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    be careful they don't try and re route you through YYZ to FCO on AC. That is a Rouge flight with no lie flat J seats.

profpeabody, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except in this case AP and AC are separate corporations (AP having been spun off many years ago), so potentially AP would need to pay AC for full J fares to open up J seats, unless AC is feeling charitable. Given that the original flight wasn't on AC, either, I think a better chance would be to ask AP try to get you seats on LH or LX instead, given that they are part of the same group with Brussels.

YULtide likes this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    AE should find you a business seat on another STAR carrier, even if there is no current award inventory. And there should be no increase in fees as this was an airline initiated change and your contract is binding for specific city to city and class of service. IIRC UA still flies that route but having taken that Brussels Air flight last spring, it's too bad you won't be enjoying the superb inflight service (and gift box of Godiva chocolates).

profpeabody likes this.
  8. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Godiva chocolates? That is a game changer for me!!! LOL. Thanks all for the great input. Ideal replacement would be the United direct from IAD to FCO. Phone agent advised I give it until Tuesday to hear from them and if nothing by then, call again.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Full 1kg box of assorteds.

10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    No it's not - it is mainline.

11. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct. its the YUL/FCO that is rouge. But same warning is there foe the OP.

The Lev likes this.
  12. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Aeroplan called today and offered a 2 stop trip on Lufthansa IAD-PHL-FRA-FCO. Not ideal but at least we get there. Turns what was a pretty decent schedule into a long travel day but at least we get there. Any thoughts? I told them I needed to check and get back to them so they are holding the Philly route and will call me back tomorrow.

13. profpeabody

Status Points:
    UGH...just saw the flight from PHL to FRA is on an A330 with inclined seats in biz class. Even worse!

14. glennaa11

glennaa11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would ask them to see if they can do better. I agree that the LH old C is not good.

I'm surprised they didn't offer you a UA option since they have a lot of flights to Europe from IAD, including to BRU. Austrian sometimes has decent availability to VIE.

15. notme2012

notme2012 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't let them off the phone, until they had something with 1 change of flights, that resembled what you had. Call them everyday, until you get what you want. Aeroplan can have partner airlines override availability, but since Brussels screwed this up, they should fix it. AC has a non-stop from YYZ to FCO. Be adamant that Aeroplan put you on that flight. Tell them you have a cruise to go on, or a family reunion, or whatever. You are your own best advocate. Make an issue about how they didn't email you with the cancellation. Star has other European carriers. If worst comes to worst, ask for United.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure the A330 isn't retrofit yet??