Award flight booked - need to get to JFK

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ben, Oct 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an award flight to SE Asia on KE in J departing from JFK, but I live in ATL. I wanted KE's A380 and flat bed as opposed to there inferior product to ATL. When I booked the flights there was no low availability ATL-JFK, so I didn't book that leg. I've been looking every day for a month and LOW has not popped up on the award calendar, and it hasn't changed for any of the Saturdays in March (my departure day.) However, LGA is wide open on my dates, and there is low availability flight which gets in three hours before my JFK departure.

Can I add the LGA flight without skyrocketing the price? Could I add an ATL-JFK Y flight without increasing the price? I'm Delta PM.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As a Platinum, Delta waives your award reissue fees. If there's low availability you should be able to add the flight for only the cost of additional taxes. BUT I would want to make sure I was working with a clearly competent agent. Because you don't want them cancelling the award and starting over, or doing anything incompetent with your existing reservation.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd grab the flight to LGA for now as better than nothing, but hope for JFK to open up. The price should not change, but verify with the agent before you have them change anything to protect against any glitches.

I would also suggest using the airfrance site to search for options. The calendar actually works, and it will give you connecting options to JFK in addition to direct flights, if you prefer that to getting from LGA to JFK in that 3 hour window you have. I see availability most days for the rest of this year.

ben likes this.
  4. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice, Gary and Matt. I thought the two were coterminals but wanted to verify. I called and either got a bad agent or a liar. I'll try again. I did check and my reservation still shows up in My Trips. Whew.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Most Delta agents are bad, but whether the itinerary is permissable or not is something I'd need to see the whole thing in order to say for sure.

ryandc99 and ben like this.
  6. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a case of the agent not seeing low availability on a flight when the website says there is. I'll just assume the website's broken - I have plenty of time (5 months or so) to hope availability pops up.

7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not fear, the "Low" availability will show up 72 hrs prior to departure. But then you will not be able to change.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can't get the ATL-NYC flight on your travel date, you might want to look at connections a day earlier. Remember that on international trips, connections less than 24 hours do not count as a stopover. Also, you're probably allowed one stopover and NYC would qualify if you can only get availability with a stop that exceeds 24 hours. Of course, consider hotel and meal costs when making this decision.

If you're Plat, you get free changes until 72 hours before the flight, so grab even less desirable low availability now and then try to improve your flights.

NYBanker likes this.
  9. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already used my stopover on the trip in Seoul. I have seen low become available on the day before, and I should have grabbed it, but I am trying to avoid a hotel stay, though that will ultimately be cheaper than a paid flight to NY, if it comes to that. Next flight that comes available <24 hrs before departure, I'll grab.

Question for you guys. Can my positioning flight be in economy since the rest of the trip is in J? I'm looking online for availability - airfrance.us only seems to find economy awards. Here is my preference in order of desirability - most desirable first:

Fly day of to JFK in J as award without increasing miles
    Fly day of to JFK in Y as award without increasing miles
    Fly day of to LGA in J as award without increasing miles
    Fly day of to LGA in Y as award without increasing miles
    Fly day before to JFK/LGA in J as award without increasing miles
    Fly day before to JFK/LGA in Y as award without increasing miles
    Pay for a flight

I didn't include EWR as availability seems worse, and I don't want to commute that far.

Thanks for your help

10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked to see what a revenue ticket would cost?

ben likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if you've ever done it, but LGA to JFK is no picnic on a bad day. 3 hours is not a whole lot of time to get your gear, take the trip down the Van Wyck and go through JFK security. On a good day that's not a whole lot of time... on a bad day it's suicide. :)

JohnnieD and ben like this.
  12. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    $214 one way will get me there, $271 on my preferred flight.

Really? Crap. I thought it'd be pretty easy given their proximity. Thanks for the advice.

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    30 minutes to get your stuff. Say it even takes 90 minutes LGA -> JFK, you're still good...

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes.

15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Actually I would assume the reverse -- that the agent is broken.

The website is most often broken in the opposite direction, it won't find or price flights that ARE available. ;)

If the AirFrance.us website in particular sees the space, I would assume that the agent is very much broken, many of them are, hang up/call back.

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your inbound to LGA is on time, and your luggage comes out right away.

90 minutes is a stretch but even on the local streets it can take you a while. Then going through security, even with preferred treatment, it's cutting it close.

I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. :)

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should be fine in 90% of the scenarios

Where it gets dicey is if there is the slightest bit of irops. It's very conceivable that you could arrive at lga 1 hour late...or bags could take 45 minutes to come out at lga. (you'll have to claim your bags at lga and return them at JFK - though ATL should tag them to icn for you)

At least if you have both flights (to NY, and to icn) in the same pnr, if you get stuffed up due to irops (or a bad van wick experience) they will reaccomodate you.

If you are traveling on a Saturday, Van Wyck risk is at least reduced.

18. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a Saturday, and I do like the idea of keeping everything on the same PNR. No Y or J seats for either airport have opened up this week.