Award flight already booked, Envoy space just opened up, options?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like this answer is going to be "no," but I don't think I've ever actually seen this question asked or an answer written out, so here goes:

My wife and I are booked CLT-CDG-CLT in February. Got the 30,000 mile Envoy off-peak seats outbound, but coming home the off-peak Envoy was unavailable, so we just booked the 17,500 off-peak coach seats (I booked this a couple months ago). For whatever reason, tonight I happened to do a search as though I was going to book that same flight, and lo and behold, there are 30,000 mile off-peak Envoy seats available on the return now!

So is it possible to just pay an extra 12,500 miles per person to move into the Envoy seats on the return? Again, I'm anticipating that I'm going to hear a resounding "no, not without canceling your current ticket, redepositing your miles and paying the $150 redeposit fee, and then rebooking the award"...but never hurts to ask, right?!

2. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you're Chairman's, where you can avoid the redeposit fee, you should expect to encounter it. However, it could very well be worth it to you for the quality of the ride.

viguera likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Technically you cannot make this change, and if you are able to make this change you will certainly need to pay the $150 change fee, the best advice is to just keep calling until you get an agent that will make the change for you without cancelling the outbound, could take 10 calls but it is something that an agent CAN do.

4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    double check your flight numbers and flight times. if there has been a change you could get a sympathetic agent willing to let you book envoy because your flight is a little longer.

5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess my other question is "is it actually worth it to spend the additional miles?" We're already booked in Envoy on the overnight flight over, so a daytime flight in Y on the way back isn't really something that makes me cringe. While Envoy would be nice on the way back, is it worth the extra 25,000 miles?