Award Chart Changes Delayed to Feb 3, 2014

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Rob, Feb 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2367.html :

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the old redemptions rates are still available if you book.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And also that searching is broken in many places as the implement the changes. Things are ugly on the site right now.

4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That explains thing. I was playing around this am and could not find any award tickets to HKG from IAH in Sep-Dec.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lots of troubles still on the website for awards outside US48/Canada. UA is aware of it and working to fix but it is still mostly broken right now. I am seeing some results for SFO-NRT tonight, but not a ton more than that.

Also, those SFO-NRT itineraries are still pricing at the old rates, even for partner premium cabin.

Many of the TPAC flights are tomorrow but searching just for tomorrow shows no results. You need the departure today for them to show up. All sorts of broken.

ballardFlyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old pricing or new pricing?

ballardFlyer likes this.
  7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I laughed, loudly, when United rolled out the new award charts, because there's no chance it would be fully implemented on an automated basis (e.g., via the website) on or close to schedule. The simplest itineraries will price correctly, but I'd bet money we will soon hear of various BS manual workarounds because the IT continually chokes from the added complexity.

8MiHi and ballardFlyer like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which fixes are they going to prioritze -- calculating PQD correctly or award pricing fixes?

ballardFlyer, snod08 and HeathrowGuy like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    US48/Canada didn't change.

TPAC is old still.

ballardFlyer and Steve GadFly like this.
  10. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    None of the above.

11. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they're gone now. I got two biz tix for xmas/nye - SFO-IAD-ADD-DXB-CAI-JFK-SFO. 120K each... the good old days. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the new chart is live and mostly working.

ETA: Pretty sure this is wrong:
    UALXAward.JPG

ETA: Maybe not wrong. It prices as a UA C award because the long-haul was on UA metal and the short-haul is within the Europe region. Bizarre, but correct.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

The updated Saver and Standard Award mileage requirements are now in effect, and I have a few more details to share:

Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
    • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
    • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
    Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
    • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
    • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
    • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
    Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

14. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad UA decided to make an exception for UA awards connecting to short haul partner flight in the same region in the same cabin of service.

Thanks for clearing up a few details regarding award changes.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For travel to Asia it seems that the key will be your ultimate destination in terms of pricing connecting points. For China, Mongolia, Korea & Taipei you need to connect in ICN, TPE, PVG or PEK (and eventually CTU, I suppose) to stay "in-region" for the onward flight. For all of South Asia (Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) your only viable connection point from the USA on UA is HKG. I don't know if UA would price the through flight to SIN as US-South Asia for the purposes of the add-on award pricing, but that's also not an easy get.

snod08 likes this.
  16. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For India, I guess one could fly UA to BOM / DEL. Those flights rarely have award seats in C-class.
    Otherwise, it sounds like only partner-redemption fares for India. ?? is that correct ??

Or fly to SIN on UA; then redeem a separate ticket on SQ/TG.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As I see it, yes.

Are US-Central Asia awards permitted via TPAC? If so then US-SIN on the UA through flight might work with a TG/SQ (and maybe eventually AI) tag-on. But we just don't know yet.

snod08 likes this.
  18. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could also go via Mid East and buy onward connection using money or points. If not going to DEL or BOM this might actually be a better option to avoid the domestic connection in India.

Too bad EK likes to schedule flights at inhumane hours. What's up with seemingly every flight leaving between 2 and 4am? Especially ones that are only 2 hrs long. That's cruel and unusual.

(For the record the UA award changes are still yet another reason for folks to reconsider doing business with UA. Not a huge deal on its own but in combination for the big ball of fail that is the rest of the operation it's just a whole lot of unfriendly.)

19. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have redeemed India-TPAC-USA in the past (only once); But I have ticketed India-TPAC-USA a few times (as recent as a couple months ago) and canceled as I did not want the tickets anymore.

I have never tried to redeem USA-TPAC-India

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  20. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The connection through M.E. is a good thought!
    Can use AVIOS to fly QR / EY to India from the M.E.

Indian international departures are scheduled at those hours specifically so that pax can make connections to the West conveniently from the M.E or even E.U.
    (Well, not ALL pax need to go West.; many people actually end travel in the M.E and yet fly these weird hours).
    as someone who grew up with these weirdly timed flights, i never thought much about it, until I moved here and realized W.T.H?!

21. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I transited in DXB, in the F lounge, one guy I chatted with in the lounge was flying the 1 hour flight to Bahrain. Departs at a lovely time of 230am.

My flight to BKK was at 340am, but I only suffered through that to fly the A380 and a noon arrival is not too bad with 4 hour shut eye in a suite with shower before arrival to boot.

22. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA showed USA - NRT - BOM as valid (last segment operated by the NH "business jet.") seriously considered that but 9 hrs in a 737 is a bit too much for me, especially coming off a TPAC.

Wandering Aramean and snod08 like this.
  23. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you mentioned, A.I. if it ever gets in to Star...can be useful from SIN / BKK
    Generally, the SIN and BKK flights on AI are single-aisle Airbii.
    Sometimes, they fly the 744 on SIN-MAA-BOM route. (no F-class pax AFAIK)

24. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the reverse just last month BOM-NRT-IAH-SAT.
    The 737 business jet has the cradle seats in C. Only 36 pax can be seated total on that plane (or something like that).
    So, it was very quiet inside.
    I did not sleep well in that seat. It cannot compare to UA's BF seats at all. However, it was a good solution for me at that time (IRROPS in EWR, etc).

25. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL! Been there, done that.....on routes like: DXB-MCT, MCT-BAH, BAH-DOH.

Golfingboy likes this.