Award Booking Upgrade

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by somempire, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have booked 2 award ticket using CO miles and some segments are on business class and one is on first class. I spoke to "New United" agent and he informed if I upgrade one of my segment to first when it becomes available, I will be charged $75 each. Should I be bound to old CO rule or new United rule?

2. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what "old CO" vs "new UA" rule you are asking about. Where are your flights to/from you are talking about?

Why I ask is I was reading that the newUA (vs the old UA) is now charging a UG tax fee to/from LHR which they never charged before. Is this what you are talking about?

3. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently booked on LH J class to FRA and my flight leaves under 3 weeks. When LH F opens up I would like to upgrade to F. The UA agent informed that I will have to pay $75 fee but one of my segment is on LX F ZRH-PEK.

4. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boy, I just don't know much about LH or Miles & More fees

5. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that awards booked before that date with United miles is free from the <21 day fee of $75. However, awards booked with CO awards are not. I was in the same situation and just paid $75 last night for an itinerary change. You can't do much about it unfortunately

8. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe CO had those same rules. I had an award booked back in January of this year. I was waiting for award space to open up but it didn't until 21 days in and I would have had to pay the $25 fee as Gold. I decided not to change since I didn't want to pay the fee.​

9. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the clarification..