Award booking rules question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Jeffrey, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to book my first big flight after accumulating miles for a year, and I have a couple quick questions. My flight has several legs.. Hartford to Seoul via Chicago, with the second part on OZ, a 23 hour layover,then down to Singapore on SQ, then over to Tokyo a few days after on NH, and finally several days later home through DC, with the long leg also on NH. All in business class.

My first question is that as far as I can tell, I can't book this easily on the united page. Will I just have to suck it up and pay the 25 dollar fee? Or can I book the individual segments, pay extra miles, and then have united combine it and refund the difference? I'd have to transfer more chase points in to do this, so I'd rather not. Also, it seems like I can't put the award on hold.. Is that true?

Also, if later on something in first comes available, or another route that I was eyeing, is it true that I can change it so long as I do a round trip from bDL and hit Singapore and Tokyo for a few days each?

Finally, does this seem like a good itinerary? I'm looking for an all around high quality flight experience, of course.

Thanks!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried the Multi-City option and clicking the "Award Ticket" box?

Looks like a good itinerary to me.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Part of the problem is united won't show me the SQ portion as available in J, but it shows up with the ANA tool and award nexus. It also won't let me do the 23 hour Seoul layover. When I plugged everything in, the system returned a null result.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you won't get SQ in J via United period.

SQ blocks all prem cabin to everyone except their own program. If you really want J then get away from SQ if using United Miles

if the system won't let you, you might need to call United.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    An update: I just called United and tried to book my flight, which I expected would be 130K miles round trip (I found a ticket from NRT back to JFK in F I picked instead). The agent did see the SQ flight in J, but she wanted to charge me 220000 for the trip... am I right, or is she? I assume if they can see partner airlines, it's a saver award. If she's right, is there any way to knock this down to 130,000? To recap:
    BDL-ORD-ICN (23 hour layover)-SIN (destination), J international
    SIN-NRT (stop), in J
    NRT-JFK/EWR-BDL, F international. The EWR-BDL flight was a standard award, but she said it was 220K whether this flight was included or not.

6. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    No sounds like they are not piecing it together correctly or you have another standard award leg in there some how. Seems like a legal routing so I would just hang up and try again in hope you get a better agent. To me the correct price would be one way NA to SIN saver J and one way SIN to NA saver F assuming you lose that last standard leg.

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    United lets me book most of this ticket on the web... I can get from Hartford to Seoul on the right flights, and I can get from Singapore home on acceptable flights, with the Japan flight working. The problem is that the Seoul-Singapore flight is wrong - it's an economy flight on SQ, and I know I can do better than that. If I book it anyway online, will I be able to change the ICN-SIN flight for free if I call, or will I be stuck? Will I also be able to change my leg home NRT-BDL... it's going to let me book that via DC in J, but I'd like to switch it to go via NYC in F (the DC flight is not at a great time). I could book it so that I *stop* in NYC (and I might do this and take the train), but if something comes up later that's better and gets me all the way home, I'd rather do that.... my understanding is that I *will* be able to call and change the ICN-SIN leg, no problem, but if I book a route that ends in JFK I won't be able to later reroute somewhere else and end up in BDL, or tack on an EWR/BDL leg. Is that all accurate?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite. SQ only blocks C on some aircraft types and routes. Particularly in regional C it is possible to get seats. But UA doesn't show them online.

You can definitely make changes to an award once booked. You might pay a change fee, depending on what you change. Adding or dropping a city will cost you. Changing it to an F redemption from a C redemption will cost you.

edekba and JohnDeere19 like this.