Award Booking Question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Tenmoc, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all.

I have a question about booking an award. All AA awards are now one way? And if this is how it works, is there any reason to not book a direction when I can now as a one way and then in a couple weeks when I find the out bound booking that?

I am only PLT so will get hit with fees, etc, but can't change that.

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, no reason. Yes, all AA and partner awards are now one-ways.

AA "Oneworld" award rules haven't changed, so you can still construct round-trip awards provided the other requirements are satisfied.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only small worry I'd have is that the return leg wouldn't be available at the lower tier. No guarantees with availability and all. But, it's a small worry. :)

The one ways are nice, though I'm still not sure if I prefer them or the free stop overs.....

4. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only downside is the longer you wait for an award flight, the quicker it might not be avail. If you know your exact dates it is best to book both legs... I personally try to confirm my flight legs as i know what my schedule is, before i lose out on seat inventory

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one negative I can think of, and it doesn't impact me at the EXP level because the fee is waived for us, is having to pay redeposit fees of $150 per ticket if you cancel the booking. Two one-ways= $300 redepost fees. If you book in a single, round-trip itinerary with one ticket number you wouldn't risk being hit with that charge twice if you cancel.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering about redeposit fees after IROPs with two one-way tickets. Suppose your outbound flight is cancelled and because flights are full, there's no seat for a few days, making it a trip in vain. Would you then be charged $150 to redeposit the return portion of the trip or would AA be reasonable in this case?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies. Dates are specific on the outbound, minimally flexible on the return.

The reason I'm considering two bookings is the 331 day rule. Theory being, take what I can book now, wait a couple weeks book the return. I can see the availability I need via qantas' website but of course AA will not allow me to book yet.

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do like the north american gateway free stopovers though.

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting question, I would assume the standard answer would be yes you would be charged the $150, but if you could escalate it, then perhaps you could find a sympathetic supervisor.

Tenmoc likes this.