Award Booking on Star Alliance

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Traveling Momma, Jul 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a very "green" question. Can I book any flight on any plane (metal) in the Star Alliance program segment by segment and then just redeem by pulling from LUFT, US, UR and MR points? Or, do I have transfer all the miles to say - United or LUFT - and then only book through United or LUFT but give the agent the segment by segment flights I looked up of all the different flights, on different metail in the Star Alliance network? I have the following balances and am looking for 3 biz or First award seats out of ORD in summer of '14 to Italy, South America or Africa.

Our mile balances of meaning are as follows:

Luft 55 + 55
    US 46
    UR 155
    MR 131
    United 19 + 3
    I know MR, UR need to be transferred but do I need to worry about where I transfer them to?
    I won't transfer until I know exactly what I can book with the balances I have.
    Thanks,

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You do not transfer points between Star Alliance programs.

All of the miles for the award you want need to be in the same program. Some of course allow one-way awards. And it's possible to book the same itinerary for each person out of a different mileage account.

For instance, person 1 outbound from a Singapore Airlines account
    Person 2 outbound from a United account
    Person 1 + 2 return from another person's United account

But you can't combine Lufthansa and United miles to have enough miles for one person's one-way award, for instance.

Traveling Momma likes this.
  3. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Okay. I get it. I kinda can't believe I asked that question now. It seems so obvious.

Note to self: if you get mired in this hobby for too long during the workday reading reports, tips and tricks from all these excellent bloggers you will be unproductive and scattered. I still say it is best to use and Award Booking Service but it is fun to learn a bit too!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's my favorite way to live. :D

With the balances you have it will be tough to piece together the trips you are looking for. I think you can do one C ticket one-way from each of the LH accounts between N. America and Europe or S. America, transfer some AmEx to AC for either a one-way or a return in the same regions and then UR->UA to do the other ticket you need. But that's going to take a lot of coordination to get all of them booked on the same flights and same trip.

Off the top of my head I don't see the points in place to do Africa in a premium cabin but I might be off on those requirements.

boondr likes this.
  5. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Seth, you never dissapoint do you? Thanks for helping me think about this. Do you think I should wait another 3 months for another round of cc apps so I have more choices? I'm thinking I might want to do 3 RTW tickets for a 3 week trips. I this even possible?

6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    With enough miles, anything is possible :)

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The only reason I hesitate to say yes here is based on how many stops most people generally have fun with over a 3 week trip going RTW. For something that long I'd say that picking 3 destinations as bases and then maybe a side-trip or two from there is more than enough. And you can often do that with one well structured "normal" award rather than going for a RTW award.

8. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    How would you like to do our next award booking for us? Do you do this?

9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    He does offer a service for this!:)

Traveling Momma likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I used to. I got out of the business a little while back as I didn't think I was able to provide the level of service my customers deserved. There are a number of other people providing services in the space who are good at it.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    We used Scott Grimmer of Milevalue last time but he's out of the country. I guess we could let one of his other guys do it but I like to "know" or have interacted with the person I pay. I like Gary's writing and thinking so will reach out to him then.