Award Booking on ba.com

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Lemondaquise, Jan 25, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Lemondaquise

Lemondaquise Active Member

Status Points:
    For more than a month, on and off, ba.com shows availability on Cathay Pacific but when you get to payment stage, it says that flight is gone to someone else while you were making the booking! I have called BA and have been told that this is in Cathay's ball court. This does not speak well for the use of BA currency: Avios! When I have challenged the agent, they hung up on me! Any suggestions for getting this attended to by BA?

iolaire likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you verify that the inventory exists through a 3rd party? I believe JAL is considered a good resource when searching for CX award space.

Phantom inventory is a thing. It happens on other alliances/partners, too. Sucks, but eventually you learn what to trust (and what not to trust) and life goes on.

iolaire likes this.
  3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    From reports and personal experience, it doesn't sound like it's a BA problem. CX shows phantom availability to BA, so BA reports it to the customer but it doesn't actually exist.

In addition, CX also does other things like married sector restrictions on award space (which AIUI is a rarity amongst airlines). At least that can sometimes be worked around between the website and the phone.

But phantom availability is a knottier problem. You just have to try it, and remember that if you can't book it, then that space was actually never there to begin with (and you therefore haven't missed out on something that you might have got your hands on).

iolaire likes this.
  4. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar problem last year with CX reporting phantom availability on BA on a connecting flight, where BA would seem to display the availability for the first segment against both segments, when the latter had none. Solution was to check each segment separately... (ie. one search for LON-HKG, another for say HKG-HAN).

iolaire likes this.
  5. Lemondaquise

Lemondaquise Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your input. I signed up for a JAL membership but looks like their relevant web services are down till APRIL 2016 (really?) I dont have points with JAL so reluctant to call them. Quantas shows Cathay has 2 seats open HKG to MAA which is the leg I am missing. To add insult ....BA is STILL showing the 4 Cathay seats that were phantom yesterday! Do they really want me to call them again? I plan to:)