Award booking issues

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Justin Johnson, Sep 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had issues trying to book an awards trip online when a passenger has a two part first name.
    For the last hour I have been trying to book a trip with my friend. His first name is Mark Antony but AA site locks up when it comes to seat selection. I'm able to make it to seat selection if I book for my self alone, it also dies if I try to book for him alone.

Any advice?

Thanks.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    First, I booked an award this morning with AA by phone with a three part first name. No problem. The reservation properly reflects the spacing.

Second, most reservation systems don't show spaces, I would normally book someone as Markantony and would have no problems.

But I've never gotten a site locking up at seat selection. If seat selection really is the stopper, why not skip that part and assign seats later?

3. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It does not get to the point that allows you to pick a seat. After entering names, birth date etc, I hit submit and it tries to post the info to the site, but does not render the next page where you pick seats.

I was afraid to book the ticket as as one word because his passport shows it as two. I once had issues with TSA because my DL shows my name as Justin S. Johnson but my boarding pass was Justin Scott Johnson.

Also not sure if this matters but I'm trying book multi segment international tickets. LAX-JFK-BRU FCO-JFK-LAX

Thanks for the help.

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would first try a different browser. If that didn't work, spell the name as MarkAntony.

5. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I tried it on Firefox, IE and Chrome on my pc and Firefox on my mac.
    I'm just going to call tomorrow and use his full name.

Thanks

6. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked many tickets with AA with multiple names spelled as one and never had an issue.

Though, not to/from US so no TSA to make problems for no reason...

7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    To avoid paying a reservation agent fee, call and have the agent put the award itinerary on hold. Get the PNR from the agent. Then use "My Reservations" to access that itinerary and ticket it. You will still have to pay the normal taxes, but can avoid the reservation agent fee.

8. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the help, I got it all figured out. Called in and had them put on hold then went back into the system added names and filled out the rest for the forms.