Award booking help needed using MR

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by aaucello, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. aaucello

aaucello Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys... just throwing this out there to see what other options might be. I'm helping a family friend use their MR points to book 4 flights from JFK-CUN using their amex membership rewards points. They have ~100k mr points but are looking to spend as little as possible per ticket. I originally though BA would be a good bet, because they redeem for 20k avios a piece, but taxes are $114 a ticket and the award space was sparse on AA.

What would you do? Here are the specs: They want to travel anytime between 4/11 - May 30 this year for a 7 day itinerary. They can depart from EWR, JFK, or LGA.

Hoping someone can help me here [​IMG]

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Transfer to All Nippon (NH) since a non-stop flight round-trip award ticket from EWR-CUN which seems to have some Saverpass Economy space during those dates costs 22K miles per person. The taxes and fees will apply but it can't be too bad since there are no connecting segments which would increase the cost.

Scottrick likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Downside to ANA transfers is that they take about a couple of days and you can't hold the award pending the transfer.

4. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada transfers are instant, and for UA/CO/US awards (in addition to a number of other airlines not on this route), there are no fuel surcharges.

Scottrick and TAHKUCT like this.