Award Booking Fun on Continental.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found the perfect award on Continental.com. *A First to Europe and back. Exact flights I want. Goes all the way to the "Purchase Now" and then it fails with

"One or more flights are no longer available for this request. Please begin your search again."

Went back and searched for flights again... found same flights again, but same thing -- fails at the end. Three times, no luck. Why's CO lying to me? Anyone have a workaround? Will calling reservations be more successful?

East_Yorker likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd call it in rather than waste time here where the seats could actually disappear if they are really there and it is some other bug preventing the booking.

3. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call the Electronic Support Desk and walk them through the booking you're doing. They'll be able to document the issue and should be able to issue the award without charging you the phone fee.

East_Yorker likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Phone fee shouldn't be an issue as a Platinum but I was sitting in a library where phone calls are frowned upon. Calling now. One reason I could think of that's causing the failure: continental.com receiving a different error from LH and misinterpreting it. E.g., I already have a C seat on one of the flights that I will, of course, cancel once I get the F seat, so maybe LH is rejecting the booking because of the duplicate? (then again, same name with two different FF program numbers shouldn't just fail, should it?)

East_Yorker likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update: thought I would use this opportunity to try and use US Airways miles since I am pretty sure the trip isn't going to change given the flights are perfect and coming up soon (I have no elite status on US, so changes are $$$). Alas, US agent didn't see any availability on those LH flights. Did they pick up UA's Starnet blocking policy?

On the bright side, CO agent got the flights booked without any issues. First time I called CO as a (1K-to-Plat matched) elite and it was a very good experience.

East_Yorker likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh, more fun: looking at my reservation on continental.com, I discover four other reservations (my failed attempts to book online) that all have waitlisted segments. Canceled them all.

Some more questions:

- the list of reservations says that my one phone-made reservation is not yet ticketed. When I drill into it, the website tells me that my purchase is confirmed. How do I interpret that? Can the ticketing still fail? Should I hold off canceling the ticketed C seat on the same flight (booked with UA miles) until I have a CO or LH ticket number in hand? The LH website doesn't seem to recognize the LH confirmation number (yet) that the agent gave me.

East_Yorker likes this.
  7. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sometimes takes 24 hours for a reservation to show up on LH. Don't worry

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Just got the email confirmation with ticket number from CO.

Interesting also how the phone booking is about eight dollars cheaper in taxes/fees than my attempted online booking.

East_Yorker likes this.
  9. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The next thing you should do is call CO and get the LH confirmation #, which will be different. Having it will save you hassles should you have any LH issues while on the road and when dealing with LH directly.

East_Yorker likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the CO agent proactively gave me that number, and I can see the booking on LH's website.

Ygor and East_Yorker like this.
  11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then you’ll also be able to choose your seats, or change them at your leisure, which you can’t do from CO’s site. You might want to check the phone numbers and email address linked to your LH booking. Sometimes that info comes through a little garbled.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I already changed the seats. Thanks for the tip on email/phone garbling. Will take a look.