Award Booking for NYC-MNL

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MsChristina, Aug 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi everyone! I'm looking to book an award ticket using my Delta Skymiles around 12/27/11-1/12/12 (dates are flexible).

Do you think 170,000 (First Class) on Korean Air is a good deal? Or should I just book 85,000 (Economy) on Korean Air?

The other option is to just pay for the ticket--- about $1600-$2000 economy.

Thanks for any input! :)

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint!

I don't believe its even possible to use DL miles for first class on any airline. If you're saying that the 170k is for business class, I would most definitely book that over a revenue economy ticket especially since skymiles (aka skypesos) aren't usually of great value. Were you able to find award availability?

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  3. Thank you! I called Delta and they said those dates are actually black out dates for Korean Air. I will book Delta--- economy flying to MNL and business class on return trip to JFK. 120,000 + $59.

Thanks again for helping a newbie out... this is why I will be attending the seminar in Chicago. :p

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. By SkyTeam rules, since DL doesn't offer IFC, DL miles cannot be used for an upgrade or award ticket on another SkyTeam carrier in IFC.

2. You need to get the KE blackout dates from DL, not the KE website as DL blacks out any KE award on any day in which KE blacks out any flight. The result is that DL's blackout dates for KE cover about five months of the year.

3. Are you sure that a DL award ticket is available on your dates for that price in miles? If so, you've done rather well, although 120K is low level for a BE RT TPAC.

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  5. Right now I have it "on hold" til 8/13. I have to confirm the dates with my family first.

Economy seating (exit row) 12/27 on Delta, and Business class 1/12. It's giving me an option for a lower level or upper level seating... any recommendations?

I realized about KE blackout dates when I called them. They were adamant that I called DL to find out what the KE blackout dates were. They said I had to go by DL's rules.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you a DL elite? Otherwise you should not be able to reserve exit row. If you are, why not do economy comfort?

7. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    So happy I am not with Delta lol

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you don't cancel within 72 hours of departure!