Award booking "disappeared" after check-in

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Dec 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since most of my travel is paid by work I rarely use my miles for tickets, more for upgrades, etc., so in a sense I'm kind of a newbe at this, but recently I wanted a friend to visit my hometown for Thanksgiving, so I redeemed a bunch of miles for J class awards to/from SCL for him, while I was on a paid ticket.

The flights to the US went without a hitch. For the return we were on a paid flight from DEN to ORD, and then connected to our original flights back to SCL later that day; in the early morning we checked in at DEN for both our flight to ORD as well as our continuing flights on a separate reservations from ORD to SCL, had our bags ticketed all the way to SCL and were issued BPs for all flights.

Once in ORD, he checked the AA app and couldn't find his ORD-MIA-SCL flights, even though he had physical BPs in hand. When we checked at the desk in the ORD AC, we were told that his entire reservation had "disappeared." Of course, he was reaccommodated almost immediately so everything worked out. At this point I was glad that he's new to travel, so he was constantly checking his reservation on the app, otherwise there would have been a lot of trouble when he tried to board his flight to MIA and I would have been on my flight to JFK and unable to help.

My question is why his reservation would have "disappeared," as the AAngel put it in the AC, after he was checked in? I vaguely remember reading about something like this years ago, but I haven't seen anything recently about a similar experience. Any ideas why this happened? Did the system miss his check-in in DEN, and then at the 120-minute mark consider him a no-show? I would think that if the system had printed the BPs in DEN, it would know he was checked in.

Any thoughts?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odds are they didn't properly show him as on board the DEN-ORD flight so the downline segments canceled. Just printing BPs is not the same as actually boarding the plane.

mht_flyer, Newscience and zpaul like this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the same, but when they scanned his BP for access to the ORD AC (based on his MIA-SCL flight in J) there wasn't a problem. If he didn't show as having boarded in DEN, wouldn't that have caused the problem before he tried to get in to the AC? No idea, and maybe I'm looking for answers where there are none, but it's puzzling.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not.

My recollection is that at the club the scan just shows the data in the BP, not a check against the actual reservation. And the BP would hold the necessary details to get him into the club.

zpaul likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the entire reservation (i.e., complete PNR) disappear, or just the flight segments within the PNR?

zpaul likes this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    The entire reservation. It was booked as two separate awards, so he had one PNR for the ida (SCL-DFW-ORD) and another for the return (ORD-MIA-SCL). From what we were told in the AC, the entire PNR for the return trip "disappeared."

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am curious, was it reinstated with the same PNR locator and ticket numbers? Or did they rebook him somehow?

zpaul likes this.
  8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't really know the mechanics of the resolution, but it was very quick once they saw the problem. Since his original flight to MIA had processed gate upgrades already, his seat was gone, so they moved him to the last available F seat on a flight that was in final boarding and we just took his new BPs and ran. When I got back to the AC, I went straight to to bar (after thanking the AAngel profusely, of course). I'll see if he still has the physical BPs and see if I can see anything on them. Good question.

Given how quick the fix was, I have to presume that the PNR itself was still there...otherwise wouldn't we have had to go through the whole reservation process again?

9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though ORD-DEN was a completely separate reservation? The ORD-MIA-SCL segments weren't really "downline" as they were under a different PNR, if I understand the terminology correctly.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing fishy like throwaway ticketing or other reason AA would think the itinerary was invalid? And all on AA metal?

zpaul likes this.
  11. ptahcha

ptahcha Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, in order to create a baggage tag for 2 separate reservations, the agent needs to create a fictitious PNR with all the flights, print out the bag tag, and delete the PNR. Could it be that when DEN agent was doing so accidentally deleted the second reservation along with the fictitious PNR?

zpaul likes this.
  12. RockoHorse

RockoHorse Silver Member

Status Points:
    a while ago (on continental) we had our reservation disappear - but we know they accidentally deleted it (found out at the airport trying to get home)
    if for any reason they think you didn't take your outbound leg (part of ours was cancelled and we drove) it can mess up the return
    though doubt that should matter if they are separate reservations...

zpaul likes this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing fishy, all on AA metal.

14. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    That very well could be. Interesting - that's good information.