Award Booking and Advance Notice

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by IMGone, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are there any requirements to booking an Amtrak award in advance, or is it that the AGR office/call center needs to be available? Thanks.

2. echohorn
    Original Member

echohorn Active Member

Status Points:
    I believe there aren't any advance reqs. You can actually book them online now...

IMGone likes this.
  3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Online? I missed that upgrade entirely. Thanks!

4. echohorn
    Original Member

echohorn Active Member

Status Points:
    No prob. You may even be able to modify/ cancel online too. I've also booked a number of award tix from my account, but for family members.

Have you seen the latest chase AGR visa? Something like 5 free roundtrips in ne corridor, no ann fee first year, etc.

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I currently have about 10x the balance I ever thought I'd maintain, and am unsure when these will be used so I will put off the cc until I need it to keep the balance alive. Right now my travel has the balance on the increase.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  6. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    More complicated tickets are booked on the phone. The best part there no taxes.

7. lexande

lexande Active Member

Status Points:
    Online booking still only works for tickets involving only a single train, but is certainly very useful in those cases. The only "advance purchase" limitation I know of is that (at least online) you can't book a train departing in the next 15 minutes ;). (Of course this is true even if you're paying cash.)

8. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amtrak guest rewards are among the easiest award tickets to book, I've missed a train before and booked the next one leaving 20 minutes later with points on my Iphone.

Great program, especially good value if you needed to go BOS-WAS on short notice.

3000 points for BOS-WAS is a great deal.

The only restriction you'll run into will be the occasional black out dates, which if you're a select plus member you can get around by paying about 80% more points.

9. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only difficulty i had is booking sleeping cars. But it seems Amtrak does not have inventory limits for awards.

10. SuzanneSLO
    Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was unable to book an award trip online that was leaving within a few days (i think I called on Sun for a TH departure) when I was boarding at station without Quiktrak service. I had to call to book and agree to pick up my ticket in advance. I could book a ticket online for a paid fare for the same route at the same time. -- Suzanne

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    In January my US LGA-DCA flight cancelled. Instead of rebooking onto a flight 4 hours later and hoping weather wouldn't kill that one too, I grabbed a refund and got online and booked a train back. The train was departing in just over 3 hours.

Best part? The US flights were booked on the Expedia.ca mistake rate, I got a $180 cash refund for the flights that I had paid 50 cents for. :)

Exiled in Express and al613 like this.