Award booking AMS-FCO using Delta miles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by lichenlt, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it not allowed online? It always says service not available.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flights are AZ and KLM, of which the latter "should" be available on line. Try search by schedule. Otherwise call DL.

lichenlt and mtkeller like this.
  3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not worth it, given the fuel surcharges incurred on EU originating award tickets. I'm not sure why it's not coming up online, however, but I can confirm that days that should show inventory aren't.

lichenlt likes this.
  4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doh! Search by schedule to the rescue. As soon as I hit that, everything shows up. I must be having an off night.

lichenlt likes this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, it shows up on search by schedule, amazing trick, LOL

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's amazing how much the search results on delta.dumb depend on not only how you do the search, but also sometimes on how you get to that point. My big example is that searching for FC gives generally lower fares than searching for coach, then checking the upgrade to first box at the end.

7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen award seats on AF that will only show up if you search for a round trip instead of a one-way. I have no idea how that works. I guess the key is that DL.dumb doesn't really work to begin with.

8. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I heard that DL has revamped all international biz products to lie-flat seats, is that in progress or done already? I'm thinking about trying their new Biz seats on my trip to Europe, e.g. SEA-CDG or AMS

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately it's just in progress, but the new interiors are very nice.

lichenlt and mtkeller like this.
  10. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add to this, they're most reliably found at LHR and FRA on the TATL routes. I don't think SEA has regularly seen them take over for the old 767s or the A330s to AMS/CDG.

lichenlt likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found the TPAC 777 routes to be reliable flat beds, although it might be better to avoid any route, like DTW-PVG previously, that only runs the 777 on some days as those tend to change in the schedule. I've ever seen the 777 being subbed out in IROPs or otherwise in a last minute unplanned way as this aircraft tends to be really needed where it's assigned.

12. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess my reply was in the context of TATL. As soon as the 747 mods are done (by year's end), TPAC (excluding west coast departures on 763s) should be in pretty good shape for flat beds. Which TPAC routes have the A330s (all with old WBC)? I know the HND flights have them, but beyond that I'm not sure.

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO-NRT used to be the A330 and then switched to the 767-300. I suspect that various routes from the west coast are A330, at least seasonally. Also, some intraAsia routes, such as NRT-SIN, have used the A330 in the past. I don't know the current situation.

14. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did some looking at intra-Asia recently as I'm thinking about an open jaw award in which I do a bit of equipment hunting. I saw A330s doing NRT-BKK, which suggests that they're getting to NRT from somewhere. That's the only route that sticks out as an A330 intra-Asia at the moment, although there could be more.