Award booking advice to Korea

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by pdxer, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. pdxer

pdxer Member

Status Points:
    I have miles on several carriers and wanted to know if anyone here has any good suggestions for partner bookings to South Korea. Can I get two round trip tickets with this? My Miles are:

60-70k+ Chase Sapphire
    40k+ US Airways
    30k+ AA

I tried to look a bit at partner award booking on ANA with US air miles, since that's supposed to be a big deal but couldn't get Ze Access Codes for their availability tool since I don't have ANA miles.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    You can get one ticket from your Chase Ultimate Rewards points (provided your card is a Chase Sapphire Preferred and not Chase Sapphire, so that the points will be transferrable to miles... if not you can switch cards and your existing points become transferrable). You would wind up transferring points to United probably though Korean is also a partner.

You don't quite have enough US Airways miles, a roundtrip ticket (and they don't do one-ways at half the miles) is 60k points in coach. Same story, except that AA does one-ways, with those AAdvantage miles.

So probably not well-positioned for 2 tickets without a few more miles.

As for searching, try the Aeroplan website instead of ANA, might be a little friendlier for you to use.

3. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, you are going to need some more miles somewhere if you want two roundtrip tickets. Even splitting up flights across all your points you wouldn't have enough because USAirways only lets you go one-way.

I'd also suggest using United for searching Star Alliance availability. There is also the Award finder tool which allows you to search across multiple alliances for free.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways does not allow for one way rewards I assume you meant United?

5. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One idea is to open a Chase Explorer card to receive 50k and a 50.00 credit. Transfer your Sapphire points to United which would give you 120k. Open up a Freedom card to add to your points 20-30k optional. Then I would get a Amex Plat 50k with a Amex Delta 30k for your second ticket. Amex may have a bonus transfer in the future to Delta as well. So to recap, 4 card applications 3 if you take the Freedom card off 2 r/t coach tickets. One on United/Asiana/ANA and the other on Delta/Korean plus miles to spare. Drawback is that the tickets are on separate airlines. You didn't mention your time frame so this is based on getting the cards with the bonus miles.

pdxer likes this.
  6. pdxer

pdxer Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, time frame is August/Sept, so I have time for spend/mileage crediting. I was thinking about the United Explorer card for the purpose you mentioned, the amex platinum has a 450 annual spend yes? Unless there was a 1st year waived promo that I missed? Already got the Delta Amex in December so that's out and burned the miles because their award booking tool is so horrendous I hope to never use it again (I know, I know, I should probably learn how to book partner awards or whatever but I'm new to this and can only pick up so much at once!).

7. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    Whoops, I actually meant US Airways only let's you go roundtrip. Thanks for pointing that out.

8. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Status Points:
    The Amex Platinum DOES NOT waive the $450 fee for the first year, although you do get $200 in statement credit, which helps offset it some. I only see it being worth it if you are going to make use of the lounge access that comes with it.

The United Explorer would be a great card for you to get, but make sure you get the targeted 60k offer (which is 50k after the first spend) as opposed to the standard 40k offer (which is 30k after the first spend). You will get the targeted offer if you have miles in your United account.

If you currently don't have any miles in your United account, transfer some Chase points over to United BEFORE you apply for the United card. You can transfer in increments as small as 1,000 miles.

Then, once the miles get transferred to your United account, try again to go to the page with the United Explorer offer and it should be a 60k now.

I just did this same thing about a month ago and it worked like a charm. If you decide to go this route but get confused, let me know.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not assume that you can use KE (Korean) until you have carefully checked all of their blackout dates for award tickets. If you use DL miles, these blackout dates amount to almost half of the year. Using KE miles is a bit better but more complicated in that their own blackout dates are specific to regions and directions of travel.

Jimgotkp likes this.