Award baggage policy

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by de52king, Feb 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    I booked a partner award on united to Hawaii with the long haul segments in business, but have connections in economy. The initial segment on my return is in biz and the ticketing indicates 2 pieces of baggage are allowed, but the initial departing flight is in Econ with zero allowed pieces indicated on the confirmation ticket. I called united and the rep said I would be allowed two pieces of baggage free on both legs since this is a premium cabin award.

Is his insight correct?

Thank you very much for your consideration!

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you should be able to check two bags for free.

chrislacey likes this.
  3. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree with Mackieman, you shouldn't have any problems checking 2 pieces for free. That said, United's website really stinks when it comes to checked bag fees and exceptions. Even the "baggage fee" tool they have doesn't allow for mixed-class travel in one direction.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you start with an inter-island flight on HA then you might get hosed. I seem to recall HA not honoring elite/CoS allowances for passengers.

5. de52king

de52king Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much for the insight! Will united interline checked baggage on Hawaiian if I purchase a revenue ticket to immediately follow landing in HNL?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    From UA to other carriers shouldn't be a problem but leave sufficient time to make the connection. It takes a while to get over to the inter-island terminal and you'll need to do check-in for the local carrier once you get there.