Award Availability on a Holiday

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by wcblack34, Jan 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am considering various dates for a summer vacation. I don't want to miss too many workdays, so I was thinking about departing on the 4th of July, since my office will be closed. Do you think that I would be more or less likely to find availability flying on the day of the holiday?

Newscience likes this.
  2. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately award availability is unpredictable (which makes using award tickets for trips where you have fixed departure and return dates tough). Logically you'd think fewer people would want to fly on July 4, but logic doesn't seem to have much to do with award redemptions.

Why not start looking now and see what award space you can find? And remember, if you're using a program that allows one-way awards, booking one leg as a revenue ticket and the other leg as an award tciket can still save you a lot of money if you can't find an award flight for both dates.

Newscience and wcblack34 like this.
  3. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:

I have begun looking. It just seems that more award space opens up the closer you get to the departure date. I was just wondering if anyone had any specific anecdotal experience. My dates are somewhat flexible though, so that helps.

Thanks for the tip on booking one-way awards. That may end up being the way I go. I do have plenty of time though.

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably don't want to hear this, but I booked award travel for our HI vacation (with AA - to include the 4th of July) 330 days out. Although we're not travelling on the 4th, there's been seat availability in all classes for travel on July 4th, every time that I've checked with AA award travel.

5. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be flying from a smaller airport. I have checked out the larger major airport about 3 hours away, and there is plenty of award space, but for my small-town airport, there isn't much UA availability yet. It was like this when I looked at a March departure, but there is a lot more available now.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., that is understandable. Another thing that you may want to consider is the "stay, park and fly" option offered by hotels near major metropolitan airports. Quite a few hotels offer such a package.

Here's how it works: you stay at the hotel the night before you travel. You can then leave your car parked in the hotel's garage/parking lot -at no extra charge - and then pick up your car upon your return from vacation. This could then permit you to take advantage of a better travel option at a more distant airport, and it wouldn't become "mission impossible"! ;)
    Good luck!

7. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's an outstanding tip! I will certainly look at those options. Thanks!

Newscience likes this.