Award advice needed: IST-DTW -- DTW->

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by joesmoe, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to get from IST-DTW June 10th, I have some united miles I'm thinking of using.

The question is, how can I maximize my itenerary? This is one of my first united award redemptions so I'm not very familiar.

For example, I'm being quoted round trip IST-DTW-IST @ 135k miles in First for one person. Would I be better to add an asia destination with a stop in europe for a few miles more or something?

I guess my question is how are united miles redeemed for their most value.

Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting an open jaw between Europe and Asia might be a challenge. You can definitely add a stop either in the USA or elsewhere in Europe in either direction, and you can add open jaws in there, too, if you want.

joesmoe likes this.
  3. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

I wonder if Moscow would be a possible destination on an open jaw, with a stop in amsterdam on the way.

IST - DTW -- DTW - AMS -- AMS - Moscow

Or if that would be more miles. Time to play with this award search engine some.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That award would be valid AFAIK. If it doesn't price online you should be able to call in and get an agent to do it.

joesmoe likes this.