Avoiding the Carry-on Sizer @ T3 ORD

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by WormHole, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WormHole
    Original Member

WormHole Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    You definitely don't need to worry about finding UA sizers at T3. ;)

In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever been given grief about my carry-on size by security, at ORD or at any other USA airport. I've only ever seen people asked about carry-on size at the gate, and in that case it won't matter where you go through security. That said, I always have a carry-on that will fit the sizer (it's a Rick Steves soft-sided bag, so it can fit in just about anything), so perhaps people with larger, more rule-pushing carry-ons get harassed by TSA clerks as well.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've seen, though not often, the line "dragons" in ORD stopping people at T3 and having them place their bags in the sizers. Not common, but I have seen it. Typically this is when someone is attempting to bring in a bag that is clearly way too large for an overhead bin.

tommy777 likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend was given grief for her suitcase by a CO dragon at EWR. Admittedly her bag was slightly over by about 1 inch, and has since been replaced, but I knew it would fit on the particular aircraft we were flying. Only the second time I ever pulled out my elite card, and the dragon immediately shrank back into her cave. :D

5. WormHole
    Original Member

WormHole Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Didn't intend the link to be airline specific;
    2) The T3 dragons were voracious last March. I'm flying tomorrow afternoon and don't want another pushback.
    3) I have many luggage options. I simply wondered if the Priority Line ($9 option) is an easy work around.

6. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i wouldn't worry about it.. T3 at ORD, rarely checks bags.. I have only seen it a few times.. Depends on how cranky the GA is and which city you are flying too. Obviously the more touristy cities, like orlando, etc, the odds are higher for bag sizes since people pack too much and bring the whole state of texas with them on the plane, but i think i have seen one time this year they have enforced it. If you are in first class they tend to care less. Worst case scenario just get in and out line with a large group and keep walking...

7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only place I have ever been "sized" was at EWR (at the UA terminal).

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I agree, you sometimes see this happening, but mostly at the gates.

There was actually a guy standing by the door after the GA checking out people's bags on one of my flights last week and he made some people check their bags, regardless of status, but F passengers got away with it.

On my flight the next day, there was no check. So YMMV

I actually welcome more inspections of bag sizes at the gate. I'm so sick of rollaboards that are too big to fit in wheels first (except on the MD80) and go in sideways stealing the space from passengers who have the proper size bags.

Scottrick likes this.
  9. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have many luggage options, why not go with a piece that conforms to the well defined specifications? Am I missing something here?

Microwave likes this.
  10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also welcome more inspections of bag sizes at the gate, although it's not the rollaboards that are too big to fit wheels first that bug me the most...the two things I hate are A) Big, odd-shaped things like guitar cases, and B) Big garment bags. Guitar cases drive me nuts because they are big and hard and have to go in sideways, so they literally take up an amount of space that three rollaboards could take up wheels-first. And the garment bags (the kind that you hang on a door in a hotel room, put a suit in, and then fold in half) drive me even crazier...I don't care if it's only 12 inches thick when you fold it, it's still huge and you should never be allowed to bring one on the plane as a carry-on...it just takes up waay too much space.

tommy777 likes this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes manufacturers don't meet those specifications regardless of what they advertise on the tag. My girlfriend's old suitcase was one example. It looks like it would fit. Side by side next to mine it's really hard to tell the difference. But put it in an overhead bin, and it's just big enough to keep the door from closing.

A lot of rolling bags have pockets, zippers, and handles whose size may or may not be included in the advertised dimensions.

12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    But everyone here should know better, right? ;)

I know exactly what you mean. Right before I met Melinda, she bought a B&R with the handle outside of the bag. It's supposed to fit, but it doesn't. Needless to say, it accidentally got tossed in a dumpster and replaced. ;)

Scottrick likes this.
  13. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that, but the OP said s/he has many choices. It would seem the logical thing to do would be take out a measuring tape before bag is packed, and measure again after the bag is packed. Thirty seconds at home could save a headache at the airport, no?

14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. I guess my experience is just that I know it will fit, but the agent doesn't believe me, not that I know it won't fit and I'm trying to avoid getting caught. I'm pretty sure those sizers are a bit on the small side compared to what will actually fit in the bin. I'm not sure which situation the OP is trying to avoid. Even though I have many choices, too, that doesn't always mean I want to use the tiny bag that will avoid scrutiny.

WormHole likes this.
  15. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why guitars are even allowed as carry-ons. They are way too big, and why the hell do you need to fly with your guitar anyway? If you need it while traveling because you're a professional musician you should get a good hard plastic shell case which will prevent damage from careless baggage handlers.