Avoiding processed food while traveling

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/30/2242117/avoiding-processed-food-while.html

I finally came to terms with the fact that my parents were not going to take the "10 Days of Real Food" pledge while we were visiting them at their house. The pledge that we were taking was only going to last 100 long days, but I suppose 10 days is just too much to ask of some people. I didn't dwell on it for long though because frankly I didn't have time. I was preoccupied with keeping my own family of four - including our 3- and 5-year-old daughters - from consuming any processed food while on our vacation. We already thought our "100 Days of Real Food" pledge was challenging enough before we decided to leave town for a week.
    So how does one avoid white flour, white sugar, deep-fried foods and anything out of a package with more than 5 ingredients while traveling through airports, eating out at restaurants and visiting family members that don't exactly share the same guidelines? With lots - and I mean lots - of pre-planning and preparation. And I am not going to lie and say all of the advance work, food preparation, restaurant research and meal planning was a grand ol' time because it most certainly wasn't. It was, however, an eye opening experience that showed how hard it really is to avoid processed food when you are out in the world away from home. Why is it that real, wholesome, organic, local, whole food is suddenly the minority in our society? You can barely even find a bag of nuts at an airport store that hasn't been caked in some sort of sugary coating.

2. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I deal with is issue every day of my life because MSG (and every form of MSG -- which is hidden in most processed foods) gives me horrible migraines. Travelling and having to eat in airports and restaurants presents many challenges so I usually bring my own snacks and/or food for the day. Over the years, I have educated myself and have learned to avoid anything "processed". Sometimes, it can be a tricky proposition though -- even soup broth contains MSG!!