Avoiding loss of points due to lack of flying.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by caansh, May 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. caansh

caansh New Member

Status Points:
    Thinking about buying a cheap one-way ticket on Southwest to keep extending my points expiration date. But what would happen if I don't make the flight and don't cancel it? Would I still get credit for the flight - get the points anyway?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No points if you don't take the flight.

TravelBear, LETTERBOY and skyvan like this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just buy something cheap from the Rapid Rewards shopping mall. The only airline in the US (that I'm aware of) that will only extend mile expiry dates by flying with them is JetBlue. Every other airline offers the ability to extend your expiry date with just some kind of activity, shopping portals being the easiest method of activity.

TravelBear and LeeInDC like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I am aware, as long as you earn miles in some form through the airline (their online shopping miles, dining programs, etc.) your miles stay active. If it were me and the program required in-flight travel only, I'd switch airlines. Read the fine print before you make a purchase to ensure it will count, and good luck.

TravelBear likes this.
  5. rdudaddy

rdudaddy Active Member

Status Points:
    Or just redeem a small amount of points on a gift card or something, that should also keep it going for another year or so.

6. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    More specifically, I've found most of the airline shopping portals have iTunes as a merchant. Buy a song or app that costs at last a dollar and you're set. You only have to earn a single mile to keep your account active with almost any airline.

servo likes this.
  7. coffeeaddict

coffeeaddict Member

Status Points:
    Rather than starting a new thread, was curious if anyone has seen a change in US Air Dividend Miles program with how to keep your account active. I ordered a magazine with my miles and have not seen an extension to my expiration date. I don't recall receiving anything from US Air advising you can longer use a magazine purchase for mile extension. Appreciate if anyone has any information.