Avoiding London Departure Tax

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by nonstopski, Sep 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying to London on miles, and curious what the latest tricks are to avoid this fee.

The easiest plan seems to be just fly through Dublin (requiring a $100 flight from London to Dublin, but that's better than $200!)

Just curious if y'all had any other tricks :)

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fee only applies leaving London. Short-haul flights get a break but depending on class of service it might not be worth the effort. My recent Y trip back to NYC from MAN I just paid the APD rather than futzing with finding a connection and such. Much easier and the $100 wasn't worth the time and energy of making the extra connection and risking the miss (or spending an extra day/night in DUB to avoid the miss).

blackjack-21 likes this.
  3. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea. I just did the math. I get to dublin on a $95 flight, but i have to leave really early in the morning, and therefore cant take public trainsit, so add on $50 USD for transportation, and the $47 in fees i cant avoid from united by flight out. So i save maybe $10, and thats a maybe. Not worth it!

4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Besides Dublin, UA has a nonstop from BFS (Belfast Int'l. Airport, not the downtown City Airport in Belfast) to EWR that went daily during the summer and will be only five RT's in the fall, with United announcing a "temporary" suspension of that flight during the period from Jan. 5 to early March. Belfast fought years ago to keep that flight by having the UK government allow them to reduce the APD to almost the same as DUB so as to not lose so many travelers going to DUB to start their TATL trips. Hopefully the EWR-BFS-EWR will resume in March as promised, as UA had never cut that one before and the flights are usually full or nearly so (B757-200).

5. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, Im flying into DC. Hoping to avoid too many stops, unless it saved me a lot of money/miles

Wandering Aramean likes this.