Avoiding Foreign ATM Fees

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Jul 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Despite the bevy of good no forex fee credit cards, we all know there are certain places where plastic simply won't do. Does anyone know of US banks that offer no fee ATM withdrawals abroad? I know TD in the Northeast does with their Premier account but I'm sure there must be more.

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citibank Gold accounts have no ATM fees and no foreign currency conversion surcharges (on ATM cash withdrawals).

harvson3 and sobore like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bank of America:

• BNP Paribas (France)
    • BNL Banca Nazionale Del Lavoro (Italy)
    • Barclays (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands)
    • Deutsche Bank (Germany)
    • Scotiabank (Canada and the Caribbean, Caribbean countries include: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles (St Maarten), St Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands)
    • Westpac (Australia and New Zealand)

http://locators.bankofamerica.com/locator/locator/LocatorAction.do - click on "International locations"

:)

newbluesea, LETTERBOY, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  4. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Schwab still has fee-free ATMs with their checking account. I'm still using them and quite happy with the service.

harvson3, traveler and jwsky like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not know that even in the US there are still many no-fee ATMs, unless you use your primary bank's. So, if you need cash, just use your no forex-fee card at any ATM and just pay the penalty for using another bank's ATM (a couple of bucks). I think that it is the next best thing to using the no-forex CC for everything.

For SE Asia, where cash is always better, you just need to have a Citibank or HSBC account and you'll be all set, as their ATMs are ubiquitous throughout the region...

7. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, as I just went to my Citibank and they told me there are no Citi locations in Thailand near HKT or USM.
    Has anyone had experience with Westpac in NZ? Citigold allows free withdrawals at Westpac in Australia, but from what I could see not NZ. Any data points?

Also, as a bit of a clarifier, I'm interested in banks that not only have no fees on ATMs abroad, but will also reimburse any fees that the ATM owner has, which is what TD does. I think Schwab and First Republic do as well. Citigold is fee free only on Citi's side, but you're still left with whatever the ATM owner chargers.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never been to Thailand (have not yet felt the lure) but HSBC is also big in the region, and I have both Citibank and HSBC accounts. Analogous to the absence of CITI in Thailand is my finding out recently that, while there are multiple and wonderful Hilton properties in SE Asia, there are none in Ho Chi Minh City, which I am considering visiting later this year....

9. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:

There don't appear to be any HSBCs in Thailand outside Bangkok either.

HSBC will charge you to use their own foreign ATMs unless you're a Premier customer (have over $100,000 in deposits).

First Republic requires you to keep a minimum balance to avoid/refund fees; Schwab does not. Like Seth, I'm a satisfied Schwab customer, having left HSBC. One note: there have been reports that people who use Schwab as their overactive primary account have been shut down. See, e.g., the guy who was depositing 25 checks/mo: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1193086/

10. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    This. They refund you the fees from any ATM worldwide. Huge fan of Schwab.

rharrigill and harvson3 like this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general, due to how convenient it is to deal in cash in certain parts of the world, I do not mind if I have to pay a foreign ATM fee, as long as that is all I pay in hidden fees, and the exchange rate is that which is published daily in the Wall Street Journal...

12. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    CBandT. They also refund your fees worldwide if you make 10 transactions in a month. Look up the rewards checking accounts for banks. Most of them have no fees.

13. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The arrangement with BOA is one on the best around. I have also found that the partner bank ATM need not be in the "home" countries as listed above to withdraw funds with no charges. For example I was able to withdraw funds from the surprising number of Barclays and Destsche Bank ATMs in Spain.

To further clafify when you use the BOA partner banks, there are not ATM fees from BOA, no corrency conversion fees and no ATM charged by using any othe partner ATMs.. all you need is a BOA ATM card and as much money in the account as you need to withdraw.

15. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 on Schwab

OneSweetWorld likes this.
  16. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ally Bank.

All online banking. No Foreign fees and all ATM fees are reimbursed monthly.

I have used them as my go to card when traveling abroad for the past 2 years.

Plus their customer service is on point and their online chat service is especially useful when traveling.

17. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    traveler likes this.
  18. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree 100%
    One caveat though, watch the expiration date on your card. I only use this card for travel outside the U.S. and I did not realize the card itself had expired just before we got to Rome in May. It did not auto renew ( I had no idea, my other ATM cards always come in the mail with ample time before expiration ) because I had not used the card for the last 6 months as I had not been out of the country since September. I did load up the card with $3000 by mail a few weeks before our trip. Fortunately I had several back up cards I had to push to their limits as I needed lots of cash Euros to prepay for our apartment. When I called Schwab after arriving at FCO they told me I was SOL:mad: