Avoiding being called a liar?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Goldlust, Jul 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey everybody

Somewhere else on the Internet, I wrote a post in a forum telling about 2 interesting (to me, that is) experiences, I had had. I wrote:

I have witnessed a young man in front of me at the desk of the Elemis Spa at T5 main terminal.

The receptionist said, "You are quite young for a lord".

He answered, "Actually, I was born a lord."

She said, "Well, come back at 11.30 lord!"

At this point I wanted to intervene and tell her that she should address him properly as "my lord"; but I figured to hell with it.

Certainly says something about the current demographic make-up of Britain, that people no longer know how to address a lord. Also, that they think young lords do not exist (which I guess is often true for life peers but not otherwise).

I remember being in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot 2005 (held in York), and certainly the people there knew how to address people. I was quite impressed that I could come within 0.5 meters of the Prince of Wales without any security. Though as I recall I had indeed passed through a metal detector previously. He was standing looking back, because the Princess of Wales (Camilla) was signing an autograph. (I know she does not use that title but de jure the wife of the Prince of Wales is the Princess of Wales).

Some guy commented on my post like this:

"Some of our arch name-droppers may be incipient Walter Mitty characters, but they are rather good value in a pantomime sort of way."

I found the response quite nasty, but since I am always interesting in avoiding nasty responses, I thought I would pose the question her: is there something I could have written differently, so that my experiences seemed more believable?

Thanks in advance!

bobsgt and uggboy like this.
  2. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is difficult to gauge the reply against your post without the full context of the thread, but I would not dwell on the reply too much. The reply may have come from a basal idiot, or someone that thought they were being humorous but failed. Or you may have been posting on Flyertalk, where one should expect an ignorant retort not only to be made, but oft repeated...

3. Goldlust

Goldlust Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the wise words, which I found most helpful and true!

Gargoyle likes this.