Avoid Itinerary Change "Sweep"?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Jan 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like long layovers...call me a glutton for punishment or someone who just likes airports, but there it is. The last few itineraries I've purchased, both Y and J/F, have been changed automatically by what the AAgents call an automated sweep by their system which reassigns me to earlier flights with a more "suitable" connection time. This results in calls to AA to get back on my previous flight, and has resulted in me losing the seat I had chosen a few times (including exit row and my favorite row 3 on the MadDogs).

Since the system is "automated," there's probably nothing to be done about it, but just in case...do any of you know of a way to "block" the reservation so that the automatic changes aren't made? The AAgents are always accommodating and friendly about it, but it does feel like a lot of needless work after I've put the effort into making sure I'm already on the flights I want to be on the first time around.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OceanBreezes and funtrainsf like this.
  2. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow.. that is very interesting to me. I never knew the would/could do that. I'm keen on hearing some expert opinion on this subject. Sorry I can't help, but it has me curious.

zpaul and mht_flyer like this.
  3. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I do not have guidance to offer, but I am curious. Can you share some data as to how long of a layover we're talking about here? I've never had my itineraries changed by AA in this way, and I often have several hour layovers as well. Frankly, I never thought that this was a risk.

zpaul and funtrainsf like this.
  4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    My layovers are usually anywhere between five and seven hours, usually connecting from/to an international leg.

It's worth mentioning, also, I think, that these are usually booked a few months out, and the "automatic" changes happen about once a month, maybe every three weeks. It doesn't ever happen on trips I book closer to actual day of travel.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never experienced this.

zpaul likes this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happens all the time with me on DL. Sometimes the routing and/or layover times are indeed much "better" but I'd rather they didn't do me any favors. I can't always put them back the way I wanted them.

funtrainsf and zpaul like this.
  7. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. If I choose my flights, let me be. If I want an earlier one, I'll fly standby. How they would automatically "assume" that I want a tighter connection is beyond me. They have no clue what I want. Wow!

8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should mention that I have always been reaccommodated on the same flight I had booked originally; however, twice I have lost the seat that I had selected.

9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I've just remembered what is was called the last time I had to speak to someone about it - "itinerary optimization changes."