Avoid AMC theaters for prepaid passes

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jul 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this going nationwide but AMC theaters is now charging customers an additional $2 per person for redeeming prepaid movie passes for any movie after 4pm.

I would highly avoid buying prepaid movie passes for AMC from AAA or Costco.

Hopefully the other chains don't jump on this bandwagon.

jwsky, marcwint55 and dgreen12 like this.
  2. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So far it appears to just impact a handful of theaters in SoCal:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/04/business/la-fi-lazarus-20130604

I suspect there will be a class action lawsuit at some point in time --- seems difficult to change the terms and conditions of the prepaid Gold and Silver passes retroactively.

Was just at the AMC Santa Anita theater in Arcadia CA over the holiday --- nice theater, but I'm not sure what makes it "surcharge worthy".

3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were at the Regal in Arroyo Grande, CA, on the 4th of July taking advantage of their very generous offer for a free movie for military veterans. The man in front of us wanted to see what the clerk claimed was a "no pass" movie, and the clerk said he'd have to pay $2 to see that. So, he opted for a different movie and there was no charge.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

that sound a bit unreasonable to me

5. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I had bought one of these passes from Costco, I would bring it back for a refund. Or at least to tell them what was happening. I think Costco might take some action on this. They are always very fair to me and they do have some clout with their venders.

estnet and Captain Oveur like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who has purchased dozens of those passes from Costco in the past, I think that's a great idea.

In fact, I'm going to email Costco CS right now about it.

jwsky likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Worth quoting from the article:

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I won't be buying any of these!

9. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I heard back from Costco on this, they said they were "forwarding my concern to the buyers for review and consideration."

estnet, 8MiHi and jwsky like this.
  10. One thing to be aware of. AMC was bought last year by a Company named Wanda who are a huge Chinese owned conglomerate that owns thousands of theatres in China and lots of other real estate around the world.

11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is the same response I received via twitter. Looks like they had this planned out and are giving the same corporate line in all channels. Guess there isn't much you can do other than take your business elsewhere on this one.

They clearly don't want people to buy the pass to go see movies at their theaters. You could see this if you were an AMC Stubs member and tried to get credit for the pre-paid movie passes you purchased.... because they stopped giving the $7.50 credit sometime last year.

To be honest, I'm happy to take my business elsewhere anyway... the Fandango Friday BOGO thru 8/2 with the Visa Signature was a great way for me to try out some other theaters which I may not have tried out while captive to AMC with their pre-paid tickets. The Krikorian in Monrovia is fine and if you go on Friday night and explore the old town farmer's market before, you can have a pretty fun little Friday night.