Avis @ LAX this past weekend...did I belong...? :)

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by rwoman, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully this will amuse you all...

This past weekend, I'd rented an Avis car for about 24 hours during my quick turn to LA. Having started at 4am in London to catch the train to the airport, I did not look much like a frequent traveler by the time I got to LA. At LAX there are two stops - the first is Preferred (me) and the second is for regular customers. It was full bus and when we stopped my friend and I maneuvered around many other pax to get off the bus and pick up the car. The driver stepped off the bus and made a concerted effort to remind me we were at the Preferred stop and the regular stop was the next stop. I smiled at her and said, "Yes, I know...and I am an AvisFirst member, does that count?" Response, "Oh, okay, have a nice day!" :)

I'm sure others have similar stories...I just found it amusing.

:)robin

dc_traveler and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found that if I do not identify myself as such when boarding - they usually ask but if not I remind them - then they will remind me to stay on the bus. It is not a short walk between the two areas, especially at LAX, and they likely felt they were doing you a favor with that reminder.

A similarly entertaining story happened while traveling with my in-laws a few years back. We were on the Hertz bus and I stood as we approached the #1 Gold stop and gathered my belongings. They were quite confused and similarly reminded me that we weren't at the regular counter yet. I simply responded that I knew and that I was special and they should come with me. They were probably more impressed than I deserved. :eek:

rwoman and Scottrick like this.
  3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to book Avis when flying to LAX but after 3 times where the car for me was located past the regular stop and against the far wall I quit. Being "preferred" there meant I had to schlep my gear much too far. To get a car near the first stop (or arrange to have the car they reserved for me brought over) I had to go wait in line inside the preferred office (NOT the regular, since as an Avis first member the regular office could not help me!). So, I just quit using Avis there.

rwoman likes this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX has a history of being confused :rolleyes:
    According to them, I haven't returned cars twice. I guess that is why I drive a 98 with almost 200k on it.

Gargoyle and rwoman like this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX has one of the worst Avis operations. Arriving in the evenings, my car is almost never assigned and the board reads "CTR" for virtually everyone. Then you get to queue.

rwoman likes this.
  6. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny, for me LAX is the best in the world for renting, however the worst for the bus at LAX. I've rented at LAX at least 200 times. I always get whatever car I want on the lot (I'm Avis Pres) and the staff is great. Usually the car they automatically give me is less than 20 feet from the Preferred office. But sometimes I ask to switch and may have to walk a bit further, but it's always sunny in LA. :)

My only problem with LAX is that I always seem to see about 4 Hertz and others buses go by til an Avis bus arrives. It's been that way for many years, even before 9/11.

7. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree -- I can usually get a decent upgrade at LAX because of Avis First, but the buses take forever.

rwoman and stimpy like this.
  8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you be Avis First if you are resident of Europe?