AVIS is doing good with the fleet these days

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by Stephen, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been having some nice cars of late, I had a fully loaded Kia Sorento last time when I mentioned needing to haul some stuff around.

worked perfect and that thing has some power, seems to be a lot more than the Hyundai of similar size, handles really well even doing u-turns (often needed in South Florida) :D

2. Care to mention your status? I, too, have been seeing a lot of nicer things at Avis... at least at larger airports.

3. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am President's Club and FIRST.
    They had a lot of new cars as well, offered a couple to me but I needed something larger.

4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got an Infiniti G37 last week from Avis. Overall been pleased with Avis Pres Club.

5. Chicago Paladin

Chicago Paladin Active Member

Status Points:
    If there was an Infiniti waiting for me, I'd faint. For awhile one station semi-consistently upgraded me to a cadillac, but that is really a bad car for a consultant visiting a client site.

I do wonder why car rental fleets have such a diversity of vehicals. It would seem more cost effective for them to maintain just a few types or brands.

6. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a Cadillac CTS a few weeks ago, which was a nice ride. They presently have me in a Lincoln Town Car, which is also a nice upgrade. Infiniti was the best of all of them, though.. ;)

I think some people pay the premium on the specialty cars making it worthwhile for them.

Others luck out when there are not enough specialty car renters, and you get them on an ordinary car.

7. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was very happy with the Ford Focus I got at MIA... had the USB cable so I was able to charge my phone while driving around and suing the GPS feature.

Mood lighting was nice too!

8. Buster

Buster Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm Avis First and it's been ages since I've seen an upgrade. I mainly rent at PDX, and in addition to closing their preferred desk early, they've completely stopped giving upgrades. I asked at one point, and was told that it was "discretionary" for the station to give an upgrade to First members, and that they have opted to not do so.

With that having been said, the cars do seem to be getting a bit better. For a while I was getting nothing but smoked in old Pontiacs with over 35,000 miles. Now at least I'm getting less smelly cars with fewer miles (even if they aren't upgrades).

9. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your not alone, I have not seen a 'real' upgrade in a while although I have been using car services more then rentals in the last year due to current client preference.

10. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have Avis First and upgrades are hit-or-miss. Initially did not get an upgrade at IAH last week but then made a request of the Preferred counter agent (luckily, there the counter is right near the cars) and was given the upgrade. I usually get an upgrade when renting locally in downtown DC, so long as I ask.

Cholula likes this.
  11. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really enjoy the audio systems in all my rentals of late, ipod, usb, audio, voice command on some of them. Very nice.

I like the Ford Sync :D and loaded Edge is very nifty.

12. I hope to see more Hybrids :p Gas will keep getting expensive

13. want2fly4ever

want2fly4ever Active Member

Status Points:
    President's Club and got a nice upgrade to a Jeep Liberty in RDU 2 weeks ago.

Was offered a Tahoe LT at LGA yesterday but said too big and was offered a Grand Cherokee Laredo with 5k - very nice car!

14. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no status with Avis and got a brand new Focus in Miami in December... was a very good option with its Microsoft SYNC feature which allowed me to plug my phone directly into the USB slot to use various features, including the GPS.

15. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew through MSY last month and noticed a whole boatload of new vehicles being processed - mostly Kias and Hyundais, but there were some Fords mixed into the batch. (One vehicle still had its temp tags!) They also had a 2011 Ford Fiesta* sedan available - didn't check the trim level, but I suspect it's an SE.

*The Fiesta caught my eye because that's what I drive IRL, and I was shocked to see one sitting on the Avis lot. Not that I'm complaining - it's a fun little car, and I'm happy to see them in the fleet.

16. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had a couple different makes here recently, I asked for something to haul stuff around (inside) and got a boxy Nissan minivan-like thing that wasn't bad but had some weird design things, it had only 45 miles on it, so it was clean and new :)

I put well over 500 on it that week.

17. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the Nissan Cube. It's quirky, but I have friends who swear by it.

18. Chicago Paladin

Chicago Paladin Active Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully one day AVIS will realize an upgrade doesn't have to be a bigger car, just a better car.

19. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had new-car smell sub 500 mile Hyundai Sonatas with XM as an Avis First