Avis First status, free with a world elite mastercard

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by sheikkila02, Sep 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see this discussed (though I may have missed it -- apologies if so), but I took advantage of this about six weeks back. The upside to Avis First, at least for me, was being able to earn free weekend certs (1 for every 4 I believe).
    Then a couple weeks ago I got a free weekend cert, not having rented from Avis yet even once. I used it successfully this past weekend, so... it looks like this is a way to get a free weekend rental from Avis (with a short delay of a couple weeks):
    http://pointscentric.com/2014/08/21/free-two-day-weekend-car-rental-from-avis-with-avis-first/

daninstl and IDGflygirl like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I believe that Avis is no longer honoring this for new signups

sheikkila02 likes this.
  3. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    Wow is this right? I was hoping to sign up my wife. Did I miss the boat there?

4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just signed up recently and got the upgrade but I had to try it a couple times.

I just read on Heels First blog where they are changing this program anyway though. http://heelsfirsttravel.boardingarea.com/2014/09/26/avis-launching-new-points-based-rewards-program/

I would say something like "why fix something that isn't broken" but....It's like they are trying to change something to change it because they think they might have a clue on how to fix it. I don't know why most rental car award schemes are so bad. Sure you can get status and get some free rentals or upgrades but why is it so hard to get free airline miles, etc. out of them at times?

sheikkila02 likes this.
  5. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    That is really confusing. But hey, it sounds like it may be more flexible than the weekend cert perk.

Also apparently I just hit silver status... with Milepoint! I feel like this is a bigger deal for me than any of my hotel/airline/car statuses. :)

alfagirl, IDGflygirl and daninstl like this.
  6. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received this from Avis last week, looks like the Weekend rental rewards have a limited shelf life.....
    [​IMG]
    "Avis First will become Avis Preferred Plus:
    Travel is important to you, and so are its rewards. That’s why we want to inform you that on or around November 20, 2014, Avis First will become Avis Preferred Plus. Though members will no longer have the option to receive Weekend Rental Rewards, you will continue to earn your choice of Frequent Traveler credits (airline, hotel, etc.).

If you are an Avis First member, please continue to use the avisfirst.com website throughout the transition process to monitor your activity and view any unused or expired Weekend Rental Rewards.

Free Day Rewards:
    On or around November 20, 2014 Ali’i Club, Avis RentSavers California, Avis RentSavers Arizona, NY RentControl, and Avis Weekender Club programs will end. As a result members can continue to earn rewards on qualifying rentals until this time and any newly issued coupons can be used until January 15, 2015. Though you will no longer have the option to receive these rewards, you will continue to earn your choice of Frequent Traveler credits (airline, hotel)...."