Avis First non-upgrades

Discussion in 'Avis | First/Preferred' started by DiverDave, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I pick up my car at SAT on Friday. I paid for a full size car, they have a full size car for me. This is with a lot full of all kinds of vehicles.

I finally talk my way into a Ford Escape, which is decent.

I know upgrades are "when available", but it seems they are never available until I start whining.

I mean why does it have to be so hard? I am thinking of getting the Continental PP card, and seeing if being a Presidents Club member would make a difference. If it doesn't, I guess I may just start pricelining my personal rentals.

David

2. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avis is known to not give out upgrades frequently to First members. I used to be a First member, I was upgraded less than 5% of the time. Only at OAK, where for a while I rented every 2-3 weeks for about a year and the staff got to know me, did I get upgrades with any level of frequency.

IMO, the only real benefit of First over the standard "Preferred" is the weekend rental coupons every now and then.

3. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've generally found that upgrades are more likely when you start with a more expensive car to begin with (because there are fewer reservations for the nicer care). Without prompting, I was upgraded from an Intermediate to a very nice Buick Lacerne at SJC last week, and I had decent luck getting an Intermediate SUV when renting at CMH...but in general, I've felt options were pretty limited without asking/begging, especially for those who are picking up cars on Sunday night or Monday morning.

4. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was disappointed to find out my AMEX Platinum card only received Preferred status with Avis/Budget. Same status I had as a Company employee.

5. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get the Continental Presidents Plus cards. It will come with Presidents Club membership (at least according to the Chase web site). I don't have it but plan to get it when my current RCC membership expires (if they still offer it by then).
    I am currently also Avis First and it is useless for upgrades. I did get as many or as little upgrades before I made First. Also no international recognition at all.

6. so much for getting excited about my recent upgrade to first :-( I've gotten an intermediate car to full size or SUV every time without asking since I got first a couple weeks ago @ ABE, but I'm thinking that just might be because its a smaller location?

7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you honestly ever use those coupons?

jackal and secretsea18 like this.
  8. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am usually upgraded to an SUV (I reserve Full Size). Usually I get the newest car as well. I am very happy with Avis' program. I am Avis First and rent 1-2 times per week.

9. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the
    Yes - whenever I take a trip and need a car. Reservation is good Thursday to Monday for a full size car outside of the NY Metro Area (my home).

So I'm a bit confused by your comment. The cars are not inventory controlled or anything...:confused: