Avios Upgrades Close To Departure?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Pizzaman, Feb 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just curious what other folks have seen. I have a flight that I'm ticketed in WT+ on that hasn't had Avios upgrades available to CW since I booked it. It's showing J6 about 30 hours prior to departure and I'm not sure if checking in will impact my ability to upgrade the flight.

Has anyone been able to process an upgrade using Avios within 24 hours of a flight on BA? I don't believe they offer any sort of TOD buy-up opportunities?

ETA: This is a TATL flight.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the flight is at J6, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any U class to come up. That number suggests that the cabin could be overbooked already.

But if a U class seat does come up, there are plenty of consistent reports that you can still UuA at short notice. Even if you have OLCId, although in that event the first thing that the agent needs to do is to offload you from the flight before doing the UuA.

There may be a relatively inexpensive cash upgrade opportunity at the airport, but you will probably have to ask. Don't expect anything other than a price for a fare rules upgrade, but you might be pleasantly surprised. Nevertheless, all things are relative and even if the upgrade is one of the special offer fixed price ones, you may still not like the price being asked for.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's only a 21 seat J cabin with no F. It would seem aggressive to oversell by 6, but you never know. Thanks for the guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there's no F, then the company can't roll an overbooked J cabin into an F cabin with space to make way for UuAs.

But I did say overbooked rather than oversold, which is a different thing.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nod. The flight is J5, Y1, so I'm not overly optimistic. Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely worth asking at the airport whether they're doing special offer cash upgrades, then. It's always dangerous to try to read the tea leaves, but this might be a flight which is heavily overbooked in the lower cabins so that the airline will be looking for people to roll forward from Y to W and from W to J, and taking cash off some people who'd like to guarantee that.

7. guiarthur

guiarthur Active Member

Status Points:
    If you are a gold member flying on WT+ is worth asking for gate upgrades, I managed to get a couple of them.

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA doesn't normally give upgrades to higher-tier members just because they ask for them. Otherwise, every Gold member would be asking at the gate on every flight. Being Gold is nothing special; some long-haul flights have a hundred or more Golds on board.

If you were upgraded from WT+, it's because you were being upgraded anyway by unseen back office people. One thing about WT+ is that the chances of being upgraded are probably better than from any other cabin; and I've benefited from this many times.

9. guiarthur

guiarthur Active Member

Status Points:
    I don´t think that there are hundreds of BA golds on every BA flight, specially in WT+ as to become gold now you need to pretty much fly business class. I do agree that on some routes they are more frequent than others, but BA Gold should not be more than 5% of all BA costumers.

I´m just talking about my experience, that I´ve tried twice at the gate, after going to lounges (where the read my boarding pass and should clear the upgrade there) and it worked. I will continue to ask, as there is no harm on asking.

10. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    That will probably have been because of the time that the upgrades were done - after check-in closure at T-60m or T-45m or whatever the time is at the station concerned.

Would you encourage all BA Golds to ask for upgrades at the gate? All BA Silvers? Bronzes? How long would that make the queue of people thinking that they personally should get special treatment? What about the work that the gate agents have to do already? "No harm" indeed.

11. guiarthur

guiarthur Active Member

Status Points:
    OK, that was probably what happen to me then, I must have forgotten.